HDMI Cabling In Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

Does anyone have any reccomendations on running HDMI cable in the wall? Does it need to be wall rated? I noticed they have some wall plate options, but I was thinking of just running it out a blank plate with a hole in it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Does anyone have any reccomendations on running HDMI cable in the wall? Does it need to be wall rated? I noticed they have some wall plate options, but I was thinking of just running it out a blank plate with a hole in it.

Either the hole would have to be good sized or be part of a split or slotted plate since you cannot add the connector yourself.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Only way I would do it is to run smurf tube (or make other provisions) so it can be installed and replaced easily. HDMI cable should not be a permanent install. And yes, if you fish it within a wall it needs to have a CM or CL2 listing.

There are a number of manufacturers that make all kinds of boxes and plates for AV installations. The first one that comes to mind is Arlington.

-Hal

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
i see this kind of thing done a lot for wiring computers and for TV and audio gear. it might not be perfect code wise, but it works well and is not something inherently unsafe.

jes25

Thanks. What about the wall rated part? I've noticed some say they are "in-wall rated", is this just marketing or is it important? I won't be able to install a conduit for this install, so I want to get it right!

Jacob S

If I did not have the ability to run a conduit, and the run is under 25', I would use a cable from these guys:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm

They have Belden make the cable for them using bonded pair technology. I have installed dozens of their HDMI cables and they have worked every time. You can play around with cheap crappy cables behind furniture, but when it is in the wall, get something you know can be trusted. Also, pull some Cat 6 cables, which might be useful in the future for other technologies that might come down the road or even HDMI baluns.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Either the hole would have to be good sized or be part of a split or slotted plate since you cannot add the connector yourself.

greenlee actually makes a HDMI system with cable and field termination kits...
it's pricy, however.

when i've needed HDMI in the walls, two cat 6 cables are good to about 100'
with a $80 widget for each end. the latest ones i got allowed for transmission
of IR codes to control the box on the other end...

jes25

Thanks for all the help guys.

I ordered a cable from monoprice with a wall plate. I'll put a couple cat6 in the wall just in case.

ToddN45

Same ULlisting

Same ULlisting

I ran into the same question recently. I did notice that the wire itself is UL listed and has all of the same markings. Are the ends different???

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have used a system called rapid run. They use a few cables for many different uses and the different jacks for the ends. The cable can be purchased in plenum if need.

http://www.rapidrun.com
Interesting technology. CL2 rated cables for in wall use, pull or fish the cable first then add the terminations.
Within reason even change what type of signals you are sending over the cable just by changing the ends.

When the installation cost gets high enough, the added material cost seems justified. And long conventional HDMI cables cost an unreasonable amount anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.