Where do I find a 220v to 440v 3 phase transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
For transformers typically marketed in the US, they will likely be marked 240 - 480 or 208-480.

If you use a 240-480 and input is actually 220 then output should be 440, possibly need to derate the KVA rating a little in this instance.

If you want one that is specifically intended for 220-440 you may need to look for models marketed for outside US, or contact transformer manufacturer and have one custom made for your application, it will likely cost more than the standard stock items though.

Electric-Light

Where do I find a 220v to 440v 3 phase transformer? Can anyone post me a web address for such?

What exactly are you trying to do? This is a more complex situation than "turn 220 to 440" due to grounding setup or chassis to points voltage differential. The voltage conversion part is something easily done once the requirements and site information are known.

Crossing the 50/60 Hz border is a much more complex issue and may require working with OEM engineer. Disregarding it will most likely wreck the process. The control side issue is more easily managed for Japanese design as Japan uses 50 and 60 Hz depending on region and controls are designed with this in mind and a good chance that mechanical parts for conversion are already available from OEM. (gears and pulleys for synchronous machines, or different pump impellers for direct drive fluid pumps)

Some fluid pumps will require 50->60 or 60->50 conversion for proper functioning if you can't get a replacement impeller or its not feasible economically.

60Hz machine on 50Hz runs at 55% power. 50Hz impeller pumps will run at 175% on 60 Hz and can burn out the motor or overload the power source.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
What exactly are you trying to do? This is a more complex situation than "turn 220 to 440" due to grounding setup or chassis to points voltage differential. The voltage conversion part is something easily done once the requirements and site information are known.

Crossing the 50/60 Hz border is a much more complex issue and may require working with OEM engineer. Disregarding it will most likely wreck the process. The control side issue is more easily managed for Japanese design as Japan uses 50 and 60 Hz depending on region and controls are designed with this in mind and a good chance that mechanical parts for conversion are already available from OEM. (gears and pulleys for synchronous machines, or different pump impellers for direct drive fluid pumps)

Some fluid pumps will require 50->60 or 60->50 conversion for proper functioning if you can't get a replacement impeller or its not feasible economically.

60Hz machine on 50Hz runs at 55% power. 50Hz impeller pumps will run at 175% on 60 Hz and can burn out the motor or overload the power source.

Good points, but I will mention if the reason is for conversion for 50Hz European equipment they typically do not have 220/440. Most common voltage I am aware of is a 400 volt wye system and voltage to the neutral on this is about 240 volts. Much like in the US when they had more common voltages of 220/440 these systems were also more like 220/380.

What is the reason (is the load 440V) ? Is your source really 220V, or 208V, or 240V?

What is the reason (is the load 440V) ? Is your source really 220V, or 208V, or 240V?

I did decades of work at a high tech manufacturing facility in Agoura Hills CA. They would buy equipment from all over the world. Their 440V equipment would not work properly on 480V, and we bought special 480V Delta Primary x 440V Delta Secondary transformers, usually each one dedicated to a single (pretty expensive) piece of equipment. This really loaded up their equipment rooms.

They also had large (500KW) rotary phase converters to create 50Hz for testing products they were building to ship overseas. We had to order step up transformers for the 208V 50HZ to get it up to (most common) 380V 50HZ. Plus some other, more exotic voltages. We finally (around 1999) talked them into buying (once again) expensive electronic phase converters, put them on mobile dollies, and they were adjustable for each product's voltage needs.

My source was MGM transformers in Los Angeles CA. They will make any ratio transformer you want, yes it is more expensive and long (5-6 weeks) lead time.

Alas, all their manufacturing went overseas (I was doing $800K to a million a year in work for them in the 1992-2003 years).

Hope this is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.