Fluorescent lighting retrofit from T12 to... ? putting $ values to different options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric-Light

There are several proposal options unless the customer specifies the use of specific product or technology with no substitution allowed. Lighting is fairly specialized and many important considerations are omitted and too many in the field are way dependent on factory reps and sales reps trained by them on something they do not know too well.

In summary, the initial lamp lumen, power input, life and efficiency between the best LED T8 and the best T8 are very close, the cost for LED option is about six times more. I do not find any evidence that advantages of LED, if any, justifies 6X price tag. This will crush your ROI. The fixture efficiency and light pattern depends entirely on the fixture. In cases where LEDs improve the lm/W, it is at the expense of altered light distribution that do not match the system as designed. LEDs have worse published lumen maintenance specs, so, you have to be less aggressive in initial wattage slashing to ensure proper light level throughout the useful life.

The goal is generally reduction of kW demand, kWh energy and maintenance savings. The maintenance savings should emphasize beyond line items in sell sheets. The rated life of fluorescent lamps mean the hours until half the installed lamps in a large group fails. It's not a straight slope. You have a very good percentage of lamps remaining, but at about 3/4 of rated life, the failure rate skyrockets. The key is to schedule and budget to replace ALL at once around this time. If you have a policy of only changing dead lamps, you will have an endless maintenance.

We can't disagree that retrofitting from a magnetic ballast T12 lighting system will increase efficiency. The controversy is in selecting what to retrofit them into. I feel a bit iffy about ballast-bypass systems, because the configurations are different between each brand and external driver types are generally sold in a set of driver+lamp tubes and they're not interchangeable with other brands and it will likely be difficult to repair the fixture years later. I'll compare two leading LED and fluorescent options.

eVZTL9k.png

Businesses often get solicited by energy service companies speculated ROI, dollars, and power savings along with the mental image of intangible factors in the above picture.

Fact: Fluorescent lamps do use mercury. Today, this amount per lamp is 0.001-0.003g. You would not be able to see it even if you crack it open. A mercury thermostat is 1-2 grams and a MH or MV lamps are around 0.1 to 0.5g. LEDs that use red LED boosting may contain arsenic. Both fluorescent and LED products can incur hazardous disposal fee 5-10 years from now. So, I will leave this out of tangible evaluation.

Driver/ballast: There's no disposal difference between LED driver vs fluorescent ballast from the same time period. Current production units are usually made to RoHS lead free standards. Older electronics of all types use leaded solder, including LED drivers.

Option 1(LED): $30-35/lamp.
45W per pair input power. 4,400-4,600 lumens
approximately 50,000 hr service life. Warranty trigger/expected remaining lumens at 50,000 ~3,150 lm

CREE LEDT8-48-21L-35K. 4,400-4,600 day-one initial lumen per pair. 45-46W input.
50,000 hrs(30% output fading, though kW don't go down)
NEMA Premium/CEE1 Sylvania QHE 2x32T8/UNV ISN-SC is what Cree used for testing to get the above values. They say the ballast needs to be compatible with 25W 48" T8 lamp for this lamp to work. The performance varies depending on ballast+drop-in combination. So, I think you can use any ballast, but check with ballast manufacturer about ballast warranty when used with LED drop-ins.

Option 2 (T8 fluorescent): $6/lamp.
45W input per pair. 4,420 initial lumens.
approximately 50,000 service life. ~4,000 lumens per pair at end of life

NEMA Premium/CEE1 Philips Advance ICN2P32N
Philips 43396-0 F32T8/ADV835/2XL/ALTO 25W
96% output retained at 24,000 hours.
Lamps are rated to half failure at 60,000 hrs when you run 3 hrs per start or 68,000 hrs if you run 12 hrs per start. Realistically, the proper group change-out interval would be 42,000 to 55,000 hours (10-20% of lamps dead, but dead lamps reduce kW)
(match lamp+ballast for best warranty availability.. GE/GE, Advance/Philips, Sylvania/Sylvania)

Example of modern long life fluorescent lamp vs LED performance.
LED's lumen maintenance is a prediction used by manufacturers.
When LED systems promise a much better lumen maintenance, you should inquire if it is "actively managed". A system such as Lithonia nLight N80 maintains the same output (or at least for a portion of life) by increasing the power consumption. Red line in graph and red percentages on side shown as concept visualization. I added in the LED behavior onto long life T8 graphs from a GE literature for easy comparison. Sylvania's and Philips' graph are pretty similar.

km2Owhz.png

Other factors:
Some fixture types are unaffected by LED drop-ins. Some fixtures may see higher utilization efficiency that looks good on sales pitch, but this kind of change comes at the expense of change in light pattern.

KtZUZdX.png

Option 3: Lower performing LED lamps in many energy service retrofitters portfolio:
These close the initial material price difference, but almost always fail comparably so I do not include them as equivalent.

Last edited:

MHElectric

I couldn't bring myself to read that post, it was way longer than 3 sentences. :lol:

BUT, while we're on the subject of t-12 retrofits, I'd like to hear what your closing rate is for these jobs. Whenever I get to price one, I spend hours getting my numbers together, and nobody ever bites. Almost predictable.

What do you think about this market? I think retail, franchise and federal are the only people buying them.

Electric-Light

I couldn't bring myself to read that post, it was way longer than 3 sentences. :lol:

BUT, while we're on the subject of t-12 retrofits, I'd like to hear what your closing rate is for these jobs. Whenever I get to price one, I spend hours getting my numbers together, and nobody ever bites. Almost predictable.

What do you think about this market? I think retail, franchise and federal are the only people buying them.

You couldn't finish reading the thread. How you ever figure out numbers . . . You're pitching LEDs, huh? :ashamed1:

Electric-Light

No. Mostly t-8s.

Dude, your post was ridiculously long. Of course I didn't read it.

So the PBP is ridiculously long and the ROR is unacceptably low or the ownership of lighting fixtures and the responsible party for the bills are different. Tenants don't benefit from updating the landlord's property and landlords don't benefit from saving tenants on utility. I bolded the key points, and the rest are supporting argument, because justification is important for those actually making the decision. I'm pretty sure that many who already paid for LEDs would not have if they knew what was discussed here.

LED option adds cost by $25-30 per lamp for no obvious benefit and you probably won't get the 3 year PBP with 10% expected ROR expected in the commercial environment using LEDs.

Last edited:

dfmischler

Occupation
Facilities Manager
I came to similar conclusions in the past year for my own site. We have eliminated all CFLs and incandescents in our walk-in coolers in favor of screw-in LEDs, but when I looked at upgrading the T-12 fluorescents in the customer display areas with LEDs I just couldn't make the numbers work. Upgrading to newer ballasts and 5000K high-CRI T-8s was cheap and easy. We had previously changed some fixtures in production areas to F34T12s and appropriate electronic ballasts, so the power usage of some of our T-12 fixtures approaches that of the T-8s. The current plan is to upgrade individual fixtures as needed, but we know that we need to reevaluate the costs of LED retrofits as newer products are introduced and the market matures. My expectation is that at some future date, with new product introductions and market maturation, and perhaps with future legislation, the outcome of this kind of analysis will change.

Unfortunately, I now have a small pile of working CFL bulbs that nobody seems to want. The two CFLs now in service on the site are used in areas that need an always-on lamp for safety, without the need for good color recognition.

Electric-Light

Retail and convenience stores have a fairly high light level and long hours. Even a T8 upgrade don't make sense sometimes. When you ignore all the LED sales presentation and look at them in everyday concepts, you know that LEDs are soooo out of question.

You clearly wouldn't be okay if a customer gets the service today and pays the $4,800 bill with an estimated $50/month savings on one of your other bills over the next eight years and good chance that the bill credit can stop abruptly anytime before you actually get all $4,800. Many energy service retrofits are exactly the same. The amount of possible loss is especially high for anything solar and LEDs.

Everyone knows that $50/month store credit x 12 months x 8 years pops up $4,800 on the calculator don't even come close to $4,800 paid in cash NOW. But if it was a $125/mo credit applied to company gas card for 4 years paid by a company you're 99.99% sure it won't be gone in 4 years. The "$1,200 of extra gas credit" on the roughly 6.5% annual rate of return you get on the investment.

Government is entirely different. They're ok if they save the initial amount with no consideration for cash flow. They can buy whatever they want and be the high roller. If they run out of money, they have people's pocket books they can tap by passing new taxes to buy useless eco toys.

He puts it together perfectly.
"Longer-payback upgrades are more common in the public sector because state and federal statutes allow for paybacks of 20 years and more if the overall program is cash-flow neutral, says Mike Taylor, vice president for Honeywell's Clinton Climate Initiative work."

http://www.facilitiesnet.com/energy...-Upgrades-Maximize-Building-Efficiency--12300

billk554

holy crap, my brain hurts. . .I don't see a lot of l.e.d. change outs inside stores but I have noticed many gas stations changing their outside lighting over to the l.e.d.'s. most of the pole lighting is now going l.e.d. the cost savings must be there. about 2 years ago we changed out all our 400w mh fixtures to 6 light 4 ft. t8 fixtures and the bulbs are reaching their end of life now. we have to use plastic coated bulbs in the food industry so there is an extra cost if considering an l.e.d. change out. another problem is in the storage areas the fixtures have occupancy sensors that switch 3 bulbs off when not in use. trying to estimate bulb life on the 3 that are switched is next to impossible. the production areas do not have these sensors. we are in a 400,000 sq ft plant and the company I work for has 5 plants about the same size. the change out happened at all 5 plants at the same time so consideration needs to be given to an entire change out or the endless maintenance of changing bulbs on an as needed basis. room temps range from 36 to 48 degrees and the shipping docks must be at 50 degrees. I don't know if ambient temps are adding to the bulb life or not. we have aprox 600 of these fixtures (and that's only one plant) the purchase of 3600 plastic coated bulbs has thrown management into a fit so it looks like we are going the endless maintenance route. if I am reading the post correctly there is no real advantage (as far as bulb life) between the l.e.d. bulbs or the fluorescent bulbs coupled with the added expense of plastic coating. also if considering l.e.d. bulbs would a separate driver need to be installed? ballast life consideration can not be far off.

the original post was very long but interesting.

Electric-Light

we are in a 400,000 sq ft plant and the company I work for has 5 plants about the same size. the change out happened at all 5 plants at the same time so consideration needs to be given to an entire change out or the endless maintenance of changing bulbs on an as needed basis. room temps range from 36 to 48 degrees and the shipping docks must be at 50 degrees. I don't know if ambient temps are adding to the bulb life or not. we have aprox 600 of these fixtures (and that's only one plant) the purchase of 3600 plastic coated bulbs has thrown management into a fit so it looks like we are going the endless maintenance route. if I am reading the post correctly there is no real advantage (as far as bulb life) between the l.e.d. bulbs or the fluorescent bulbs coupled with the added expense of plastic coating. also if considering l.e.d. bulbs would a separate driver need to be installed? ballast life consideration can not be far off.

the original post was very long but interesting.
The lamps should be in pre-assembled sleeves rather than coated so they're jacketed from the cold. If the fixture is not encased shut or the lamps aren't sleeved, you lose a significant amount of output. There's no labor cost for change-as-needed if the company has in-house maintenance needing something to do to keep them full time. Otherwise, that's not the right approach. Extra long life lamp in sleeve should last about twice as long as the common coated lamps. The real thing is the quality of sleeves as the poor quality ones will yellow or become brittle.

Philips or Cree "LED bulb" costs $25-35 a piece with the Cree being the most expensive but they're plastic and NSF. Those lamps just fit in place of T8 and run off of ballast, but compatibility is not guaranteed and the ballast warranty will probably get voided since ballasts are not designed to run them. Nonetheless, I would possibly consider them when NSF certified is required. These lamps could theoretically last twice as long as ordinary T8 lamps or about the same as extra long life T8.

Consider getting someone other than an LED sales rep do the numbers before ever agreeing to LEDs.

Here's a government project example:
Cost: $37,960
Some other funds paid $23,000.. they don't consider this their cost :slaphead:
That municipal financial unit responsible for $14,960
$134.41/month estimated savings

So, in some kind of high school math problem scenario you can make this payback come out to
9.3 yrs

When I evaluated this for self sustainable project:
$37,960 financed 100%, borrowed at 2% APR
Estimated to save $134.41 per month.
So, you continue to make $134.41 per month payments, basically making payments in what you save at end of each months.

After you run the math, this is what you get:
$37,960 needs to get paid off.
$13,390 is what bank expect to get paid over time for letting you borrow the money.
$51,350 total is what you end up paying and it will take nearly 32 years before its fully paid off.

Just how unrealistic is "simple payback"? About as unrealistic as a zero percent rate mortgage.

Status
Not open for further replies.