Reference Licensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reference Licensing

I am researching states which require a Contractors license for low voltage work. I recently discovered that New Jersey, has a new statue in place where anything over 10 volts requires a electrical contractors license, are there other states which require a contractors license in order to install low voltage?

georgia has lo-voltage license, but I've never used mine to pull a permit
    Think for yourself, while its still somewhat legal!
    Clarkesville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Eh40 View Post
      I am researching states which require a Contractors license for low voltage work. I recently discovered that New Jersey, has a new statue in place where anything over 10 volts requires a electrical contractors license, are there other states which require a contractors license in order to install low voltage?
      I don't believe that your information regarding New Jersey is accurate do you have a written reference? NJ has separate burglar and fire alarm licenses as well as other licenses all of which would not permit you to do electrical contracting but still allow specific systems that operate above 10 volts.
      Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Maryland has some strange Licensing. At the state level, they only offer a Master Electrical, but many Counties and even Cities also require a license.
        For example, in Prince Georges County, Md. you need an apprentice license to install Cat 5 Cable, if you install LV such as Fire alarm, HVAC, Landscape wiring, etc you must get a "Limited Master Electrical", which requires testing.

Comment

NJ also has a telecommunication exemption license for communication and data wiring.
          Rick Napier
          Inspector and Instructor

Comment

New Jersey

Originally posted by infinity View Post
            I don't believe that your information regarding New Jersey is accurate do you have a written reference? NJ has separate burglar and fire alarm licenses as well as other licenses all of which would not permit you to do electrical contracting but still allow specific systems that operate above 10 volts.
            Below is a cut and paste from the New Jersey Electrical board faq
            Does New Jersey offer a "low voltage" electrical license, or any other category of "limited" electrical license, as an alternative to meeting the qualifications needed to obtain an electrical contractor's license?

Comment

New Jersey Telecommunications exemption

Originally posted by RICK NAPIER View Post
              NJ also has a telecommunication exemption license for communication and data wiring.

What is a limited telecommunications wiring exemption and how do I obtain an application?
              In essence, any work other than wiring for voice and/or data transmission is not within the permissible scope of work for the holder of a limited telecommunications wiring exemption. A limited telecommunications wiring exemption should never be construed as authorization to perform what is often erroneously referred to as "low voltage" electrical work.
              Pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:31-4.1(b) , "telecommunications wiring" means wiring within a premises, either inside or outside a building for voice and/or data transmission at voltage(s) compatible with the system being installed and connected to an F.C.C.-recognized communication network at the point of connection provided by the public utility providing communication services to the customer. It shall also include the interconnection of data wiring between computers and/or terminals.
              An application may be obtained from this website. Click on Applications or contact the Board office at (973) 504-6410.

Comment

Working...
              X