Reference Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eh40

I am researching states which require a Contractors license for low voltage work. I recently discovered that New Jersey, has a new statue in place where anything over 10 volts requires a electrical contractors license, are there other states which require a contractors license in order to install low voltage?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am researching states which require a Contractors license for low voltage work. I recently discovered that New Jersey, has a new statue in place where anything over 10 volts requires a electrical contractors license, are there other states which require a contractors license in order to install low voltage?

I don't believe that your information regarding New Jersey is accurate do you have a written reference? NJ has separate burglar and fire alarm licenses as well as other licenses all of which would not permit you to do electrical contracting but still allow specific systems that operate above 10 volts.

Henley

Maryland has some strange Licensing. At the state level, they only offer a Master Electrical, but many Counties and even Cities also require a license.
For example, in Prince Georges County, Md. you need an apprentice license to install Cat 5 Cable, if you install LV such as Fire alarm, HVAC, Landscape wiring, etc you must get a "Limited Master Electrical", which requires testing.

Eh40

New Jersey

New Jersey

I don't believe that your information regarding New Jersey is accurate do you have a written reference? NJ has separate burglar and fire alarm licenses as well as other licenses all of which would not permit you to do electrical contracting but still allow specific systems that operate above 10 volts.

Below is a cut and paste from the New Jersey Electrical board faq
Does New Jersey offer a "low voltage" electrical license, or any other category of "limited" electrical license, as an alternative to meeting the qualifications needed to obtain an electrical contractor's license?
No. The electrical contractor license is the only category of electrical license available in New Jersey.
Anyone interested in performing any type of electrical work in New Jersey should fully familiarize themselves with N.J.S.A. 45:5A-18 "Exempt work or construction". There you will find details regarding "Electrical work or construction which?shall not be included within the business of electrical contracting so as to require the securing of a business permit?". Generally speaking, unless the electrical work you are interested in performing is covered within this section, an electrical contractor's license is required. Of particular note is N.J.S.A. 45:5A-18(j) "Any work with a potential of less than 10 volts". Again, generally speaking, electrical work with a potential of 10 or more volts is not exempt from licensing requirements.
You may read applicable Statutes on this web site. From the home page, click on Laws and Regulations, then select Electrician Laws. Should you have any additional questions about licensing requirements you may contact the Board's office at (973) 504-6410.

Eh40

New Jersey Telecommunications exemption

New Jersey Telecommunications exemption

NJ also has a telecommunication exemption license for communication and data wiring.

What is a limited telecommunications wiring exemption and how do I obtain an application?
In essence, any work other than wiring for voice and/or data transmission is not within the permissible scope of work for the holder of a limited telecommunications wiring exemption. A limited telecommunications wiring exemption should never be construed as authorization to perform what is often erroneously referred to as "low voltage" electrical work.
Pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:31-4.1(b) , "telecommunications wiring" means wiring within a premises, either inside or outside a building for voice and/or data transmission at voltage(s) compatible with the system being installed and connected to an F.C.C.-recognized communication network at the point of connection provided by the public utility providing communication services to the customer. It shall also include the interconnection of data wiring between computers and/or terminals.
An application may be obtained from this website. Click on Applications or contact the Board office at (973) 504-6410.

Status
Not open for further replies.