Unfair prevailing wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthy

See the accompanying photo. As I informed before in another post, I dis-retired and started working for an organization that provides repairs for low/nothing income senior. I am the only one of 11 repair guys that possess residential electrical license, residential administrator certification and residential plumbing license and it is my duty to provide training cards to others (2 for plumbing and 2 for electrical)

But, here is the problem, I have to maintain those licenses, including Electrical contractor license and General contracting license to support the plumbing license as well and insurance and bond and continuing education expenses and provide training.

So, all the 11 repair guys are handymen, no licenses at all, but they make, as example: lying a piece of linoleum they make $42.15 per hour or patching a roof $44.71 per hour without license, minor electrical, as replacing a fixture, switch., at $30.82 per hour.

So, something seems wrong here, how the electrical trade (in this case residential) with all the liability and the workmanship involved, requiring licenses, bonds, insurance, etc., get the least wages? (commercial gets something about prevailing wages of $68.00), but I cannot do their roofs and linoleum, even having more than 40 years of experience on those fields as well, because I need the time for the electrical and plumbing as no-one are able to do the electrical and the plumbing professionally, as an example are the fires occasioned at the MHs I am working now. When I am sitting at the weekly meetings I feel as a fool when I see those handymen making $93,000.00 per year in patching roofs, linoleum, etc., but $64,000.00 per year in doing the electrical with all the mentioned expenses and responsibilities. I am quitting soon and go back as working again by myself (never worked for anyone before) I really are enjoying working for those low income senior, but I don't like making the fool. Any input?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I was on a job one year talking to a pipe insulator. All he did was fit pipe shaped pieces of foam rubber to pipe put in by the fitters and seal / tape it up. The only tools he used was a tape measure and a steak knife.

One day we were talking about electrical work, which he said he was doing for his dad on the weekend. I asked if he was licensed, we was. So I asked why he was insulating pipe and not being an electrician.

His reply was that insulating paid two bucks more an hour and the pipe (his pipe shaped insulation) he had to use was lighter.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I was on a job one year talking to a pipe insulator. All he did was fit pipe shaped pieces of foam rubber to pipe put in by the fitters and seal / tape it up. The only tools he used was a tape measure and a steak knife.

One day we were talking about electrical work, which he said he was doing for his dad on the weekend. I asked if he was licensed, we was. So I asked why he was insulating pipe and not being an electrician.

His reply was that insulating paid two bucks more an hour and the pipe (his pipe shaped insulation) he had to use was lighter.

Yes he gets paid two bucks more per hour but what does he really learn? Nothing.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is what it is.

Cotton pickers work harder than most anyone and get paid very little for their labors.

It is not about fair.

Never has been.

Fairness is an illusion.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It is what it is because electrical contractors are a bunch of cutthroats. Think about it. If the low bid contractor gets the job, someone has to end up with the short stick, right?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
It is what it is because electrical contractors are a bunch of cutthroats. Think about it. If the low bid contractor gets the job, someone has to end up with the short stick, right?

That's not limited to the electrical trade.

The truth of the matter is there is more people that would rather be electricians than roofers, plumbers, ironworkers or (in some cases) carpenters.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

Yup, very true. We do not stick together to keep up our pricing in a similar range.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Not true with this guy. His dad was an EC. He did electrical work with his dad when he was laid off from insulating. He was very knowledgeable about the electrical trade, even the math.

Good for him. Smart guy. kept his options open.

Henley

That Table appears to be "Reversed" from the DC Area. Electricians,HVAC and Plumbers are paid the Highest Wages, Carpenters, Painters, make less. In that table, "Unlicensed Trades" seem to be making more money, doesn't make business sense.

Esthy

Thanks Henley, it really doesn't make sense. I am rewiring/repairing the aluminum wiring in this mobile home by electrician wages, but I cannot do the carpenter and floor work in this MH because I have to jump to another mobile home to replace the service and the pedestal and re-pipe the plumbing, but of course, been the only license electrician, I will not have the time to do the carpenter, floor and roof that this MH need, SO here comes the handymen to do those jobs at higher wages than me, not only that, this organization doesn't have an electrical contractor license, so they use mine and my insurance, bond and others. I don't know why electricians as the HVAC contractors don't stick togheter and fight those prevaling wages. I wrote to LnI and I am waiting their answer. I hate to leave this position as I am 72 years old and it is close to home, but I don't have another choice as it is insulting seating with them and been the foul. Now those handymen are brushing off the electric and plumbing jobs to me and concentrating in the more money produce jobs without the implications that electrical and plumbing carry.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That's not limited to the electrical trade.

The truth of the matter is there is more people that would rather be electricians than roofers, plumbers, ironworkers or (in some cases) carpenters.
True, it's not limited to the electrical trade... but if all electrical contractors raised their bid prices by 10%, the low ball contractor would still be the same, the choice contractor would still be the same, and they all could give their employees a 10% raise.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I would work for $5/hour less to be an electrician over a pipe coverer.

No disrespect,,,, But I wouldn't.
That's ludicris.
You would work for $200.00 a week less? For what?
To say you can wire a 3 way? And a pipe insulator can't?

frankft2000

Prevailing wage is based on surveys sent out by the government asking what they are paying their workers. If only low scale companys reply, and the ones paying more money out, don't reply, then that would make the prevaling wage go down.

big john

...Cotton pickers work harder than most anyone and get paid very little for their labors.

It is not about fair....
Valid point.

I would be really interested to know what circumstances created those wages, though. Is there really that much of an electrician surplus, more-so than other trades that arguably require less skill?

Esthy

How can we fix this? Bad electrical work and CO are more fatal than other trades (I wish I can express myself better) so, we can push this. I am doing my part here in WA, I wrote a letter to L&I, I am waiting. Maybe Tom Baker can have a voice here.
Btw, I was called in emergency as one of the handyman installed a water heater and the whole house went black, I rushed there, worried because I new the electrical panel was a Sylvania and I found ... Bingo! The handyman wire the two hot circuits togheter instead to the water heater leads AND this is why I am not able to do the higher wages jobs ... Why, because I have to fix those mistakes ... Fair? Ah, but fixed the doors and trim and got more money than me.

480sparky

No disrespect,,,, But I wouldn't.
That's ludicris.
You would work for $200.00 a week less? For what?
To say you can wire a 3 way? And a pipe insulator can't?

I wouldn't insulate pipe for even $400 more a week. I'd go crazy doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Measure, cut, stick on........ measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on..........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........

Oh, break time! Smoke 'em if ya' got 'em!

Measure, cut, stick on........ measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........

Mickey D's for lunch? Sounds good!

Measure, cut, stick on........ measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........measure, cut, stick on.........

Afternoon break... time to catch up on text messages!

Clock out and go home.

Nah. I much prefer the challenge and diversity of being an electrician. Even if today is nothing but pull in NM in a large custom, tomorrow will be something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.