CE mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

We're doing a fairly large install that is mostly German / European equipment.
The 2 x 4 lighting has CSA-US sticker so that seems to be valid based on help from another thread.
Now the equipment has only a CE Mark. I've been reading that if it's held to European standards it may only need a D O C deceleration of conformity. If not then a UL certification is required.
Anyone familiar with what basically needs to happen. It has us at a standstill.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The basic is the AHJ has the responsibility/authority to approve equipment/installations.
In making the determination on approval of equipment AHJs often rely on the product being listed by a NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing lab) of which U.L. is one.
C-E is not a NRTL as it is basically a "standard" to which equipment wired/assembled but with C-E, unlike UL and the other NRTLs, there is no third party testing to assure conformity.
Often the fact that OSHA only accepts equipment listed by a NRTL will have a effect also,.

Depending on the size of the equipment, "deep pockets" are often a necessity.

This link will offer some additional info and has a list of approved NRTLs:'
https://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/

electricalist

d7ff589d4e7483787be9750148068986.jpg

That's the size of 1 whole machine. There's 6 total machines that are to be set.
They are precision machining equipment.
I think the pockets are pretty deep.
Maybe. 500K
All of that aside this inspector has an a game. The pic is existing 5 more are on the way. So the ahj is looking around thinking about giving a temp co so they can continue to work, say everything looks great now where is the UL listing.

tkb

Since you aren't supplying the equipment, I wouldn't worry about the listing.
Let the owners fight the fight with the EI if it comes up.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We got lighting from Canada that was not listed for the usa so we hired Intrex and they tested and labeled 60 recessed fixtures for ~$2300.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
BTW, this same job I have to buy 46 landscape lights- about 5 different styles- and my cost is $60,000 and that is not all the lights for the yard.

electricalist

Nice can lights.
We did some L V mr -16 tripple cans in the 90 s that were $700.00. Each. I didn't think there's was any more expensive.
cf18f5093f2b2fa1bbb9a70844ce183a.jpg

These were pretty high. They came with a plug in kit on the can that inner changed with any configuration from 100 watt a lamp to mr 16.

mwm1752

Are the machines hardwired or can you set receptacles? While I do not accept the european union mark CE as a NRTL IMO if the equipment is plug & play your inspection ends at the receptacle. An electrical contractor has no control over what is plugged into receptacles after final installation. However a hardwired appliance would not be the same as you are part of the connection phase. Are the machines able to be powered by standard American voltages & cycles?

kwired

Electron manager
Outside of local requirements or other regulations from places like OSHA - I don't see that NEC requires your machine (not knowing what it is) to be listed. Whatever that machine is - one probably starts out by calling it an appliance and goes to art 422. Some specific appliances may have listing requirements, and you will find that in sections about such specific appliances, but until we know what it is I am not seeing any general requirement for appliances to be listed.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Based on your last posts there are things that might effect the outcome :
(a) CSA is an acceptable NRTL in most jurisdictions.
(b) If it's factory cord & plug,. many inspectors would not even be concerned past the receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.