Supply house vs other

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

I'd guess this is an old question, so if there's a thread please 're direct me. Thanks.
I noticed as I'm sure others have things like mc straps are very different one is better to me. So that's part of my question,,,how different is the material?
The other is the lights, I remember the first 6 lamp f bay's. I installed it seemed like they were about 180.00 each. At other store. They are about 90.00 each . the bulbs weren't included at the store I'm pretty sure.
I'd think anything I use has a minimum standard to be acceptable.
In the end the question is when your on the job and need material or a couple lights,,,the supply house is 2 x as far as the store. Is it still a good practice to go where it's closer and save on gas and drive time ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would suggest this. Supply houses are very good at getting you to feel like they are doing you a favor by selling you stuff at inflated prices and keeping inconvenient hours.

There is no reason to buy into this nonsense. Buy the stuff where it is convenient for you and most cost effective.

kwired

Electron manager
I'd guess this is an old question, so if there's a thread please 're direct me. Thanks.
I noticed as I'm sure others have things like mc straps are very different one is better to me. So that's part of my question,,,how different is the material?
The other is the lights, I remember the first 6 lamp f bay's. I installed it seemed like they were about 180.00 each. At other store. They are about 90.00 each . the bulbs weren't included at the store I'm pretty sure.
I'd think anything I use has a minimum standard to be acceptable.
In the end the question is when your on the job and need material or a couple lights,,,the supply house is 2 x as far as the store. Is it still a good practice to go where it's closer and save on gas and drive time ?
There are several factors that possibly go into those prices. First one is you need to know for certain if you are purchasing same item or at least an item with similar design specifications.

I've found on items that are the same thing (maybe in a different package but same or very close to the same) if they are high volume selling items - the home center will usually have the lower price as they often are a larger purchaser and buy in larger quantities from the manufacturers. How many supply houses have the number of stores scattered over as large of an area as HD or Lowes, and purchase the same quantity of residential grade single pole switches or duplex receptacles, or standard wall plates for those devices?

Now go try to buy items that are not such big volume items at the home center and you may find the price is lower at your electrical supply house - because of their specialization in primarily electrical items they are buying and selling more then the home center. This may be things like larger conductors/cables, 12 and 14 AWG NM cable is often less at the home center, but 6AWG may be less at the supply house or there are some items just not in stock at home center like 70-80 or 90 amp circuit breakers, and if they can order them for you they may be less cost at the supply house, and possibly are even in stock. Need something three phase? Home center likely doesn't have it at all or is a special order, and possibly no better priced then the supply house that likely has it in stock.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would suggest this. Supply houses are very good at getting you to feel like they are doing you a favor by selling you stuff at inflated prices and keeping inconvenient hours.

There is no reason to buy into this nonsense. Buy the stuff where it is convenient for you and most cost effective.
Just keep in mind that in some cases (like lawn tractors and even some electrical equipment) the stuff you get at the Big Box store will appear identical to models of the product sold elsewhere but not be built to the same specifications.
As long as you know what you need and recognize what you get, there is no reason to pay high prices.

electricalist

Thanks Mr Peter , I figured a part or two wouldn't hurt anyway.
I have to debate ,,,use the home......... Card and have to pay basically then to avoid interest or go to the supply house and not pay till later. All that aside I agree the supply house beats me to death with sending the wrong material, being closed at 12 on sat

electricalist

Mr Gold, that's what I was concerned about with lights. I can't say I've ran a comparison by installing both and know the out come. I'd sure hate to pick up 10 2x4 s of 6 lamp warehouse lights from the store and learn the hurt way.

fmtjfw

On the other hand

On the other hand

My supply house is open 24 hours a day -- if I really need it, just a phone call away.

I was working on a boiler control system and needed a particular plugin relay -- on a Saturday. I called, one of their guys drove to a 35,000 population town on a football game day, when a 50,000 or so more people were also driving there, went to one of their customer's sites, borrowed the relay, and drove it to my site -- all for the wholesale cost of the relay, less than $30.

One of their branches was caught charging extra for off-hour service and the manager was fired.

Their initials C E D

They've also opened up on a Sunday and we went in to get the parts for an emergency (medical) service restoration.

This is for us, a customer with less that $100,000 per year in purchases.

John120/240

All of the above is good information. What about warranty on items bought from the big box store ? In my experience the supply house is easier to deal with, & more understanding of your situation when a problem does occur. Our local supply house can't be beat on price for SQ D products. Develop a relationship with your supply house counter help. The counter guy will often times ask "Do you need a separate ground bar for that panel" or some such suggestion. I haven't had that great of customer service at big box stores.

kwired

Electron manager
One problem I have with big box stores is you need to examine what you put in the cart or it will bite you in the rear later on sometimes.

Had a 3 pack of GFCI receptacles one time I picked up at Menards (big box store mostly located in upper Midwest based out of Wisconsin). They sat on my shelf in the shop for a while but when I did bring them along one day to a job, I opened the box and found only one P&S model that was what is supposed to be in the box and two "cheap generic branded" receptacles in there as well, and one was obviously used before:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

When you get that kind of crap it is a good thing you get a chance to cool off before you actually get back to the store to return it, or you may go to jail for your actions.:happyyes:

I try to check out those types of things before leaving the store with it but sometimes still forget and get burned. I have found a few items in wrong package while in the store a time or two, often when you tell a clerk the wrong item is in a box they give you a clueless look:roll:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I can buy a 3R Spa disconnect with 50 Amp CH gfci at Menards for less then I can get the CB alone at my local CED. I buy them at Menards. Pump Panels, PFC, LED Hi Bays, etc, from one of the two competing CEDs in town. I wanted 12/2/2, Menards had it. Neither supply house did. Go where you need to go.

electricalist

We have accounts at most of the supply houses and a inside sales person for each so if I need a large order Ill be able to get quality and a fair price. I had a job and needed 12/3 so Im checking the store price with an app and the call the office for a po for the supply house because Im supposed to go there. The store was about $8.00 cheaper... I ask my self is this possible ?
I despise store mc straps ,,they are too big and get on my last nerve,but if the quality is close enough is it possible a supply house like Elliots Electric can compete and pay commission?

One problem I have with big box stores is you need to examine what you put in the cart or it will bite you in the rear later on sometimes.

Had a 3 pack of GFCI receptacles one time I picked up at Menards (big box store mostly located in upper Midwest based out of Wisconsin). They sat on my shelf in the shop for a while but when I did bring them along one day to a job, I opened the box and found only one P&S model that was what is supposed to be in the box and two "cheap generic branded" receptacles in there as well, and one was obviously used before:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

When you get that kind of crap it is a good thing you get a chance to cool off before you actually get back to the store to return it, or you may go to jail for your actions.:happyyes:

I try to check out those types of things before leaving the store with it but sometimes still forget and get burned. I have found a few items in wrong package while in the store a time or two, often when you tell a clerk the wrong item is in a box they give you a clueless look:roll:

Oops, yeah, sorry about that....I needed 2 GFCI's and it was a Sunday, and driving from NY to Nebraska (and breaking into your shop) just seemed like a really good idea at the time.:p

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
My supply house is open 24 hours a day -- if I really need it, just a phone call away.

I was working on a boiler control system and needed a particular plugin relay -- on a Saturday. I called, one of their guys drove to a 35,000 population town on a football game day, when a 50,000 or so more people were also driving there, went to one of their customer's sites, borrowed the relay, and drove it to my site -- all for the wholesale cost of the relay, less than $30.

One of their branches was caught charging extra for off-hour service and the manager was fired.

Their initials C E D

They've also opened up on a Sunday and we went in to get the parts for an emergency (medical) service restoration.

This is for us, a customer with less that $100,000 per year in purchases.

i've got one wholesale house i buy from. the only time i'll buy something somewhere else,
if if it's more trouble for him to get than it's worth it.

i wouldn't have been able to grow my business without him, and he knows it, 'cause i've
told him so more than once. couple times a year, when i'm running the smoker, i'll bring over
a tray of smoked turkey, kosher, or smoked filet mignon, heathen, for them.

and if i needed something in an emergency, on a sunday, i'd send him an email, telling him
what i needed, give him a call, and go over and pick it up. i've still got keys and access from
when i put in his LAN when he bought his building.

all this on a handshake. try that at home dipsnit.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
My two cents. There is no right or wrong answer. if there was, then there wouldn't be so many business models to work from. As others have stated, with complex equipment especially, there is often a difference in quality that isn't readily apparent to the eye. With fixture, for example it is quite typical in my experience for the ballasts to be FAR substandard on fixtures sold at the home store.

Where to go or where to direct your subordinates to go is far more complicated. I would rather use an analogy because it is easier to understand the concept.

A Coke. It's a 12 ounce can of Coke period. People don't hesitate to pay three four or more times the cost for one in a given situation. If they did, then 7-11's wouldn't exist. At the end of the day, those Mom and Pop stores aren't making any more than the big box store per capita.

My preference is to get most of my stuff from a select few supply houses, and only buy from a home store for convenience not price. If I am in the home store and I see something that is grossly different in price, then I am going to discuss it with my supply house. They have more power than you think. At some point the manufacturer will be forced to make sure the home store prices and the supply house prices are properly aligned for the same product.

keith gigabyte

I'd say buy where it works best. Slowes has wire just a couple dollars cheaper and the device covers come with screws in covers. The supply house sells the brand the screws are in a little bag. Saves almost an hour per house wire

John120/240

Three supply houses here stock Allied Moulding fiber glass boxes and Arlington products. Orange & Blue both stock Carlon blue boxes, which I hate. Starting fixture or device screws in Carlon boxes is always difficult. Another reason why I like my supply house.

electricalist

Three supply houses here stock Allied Moulding fiber glass boxes and Arlington products. Orange & Blue both stock Carlon blue boxes, which I hate. Starting fixture or device screws in Carlon boxes is always difficult. Another reason why I like my supply house.
Are the fiberglass boxes the brown ones ? It seemed like we tried those before and they break easy.

kwired

Electron manager
Are the fiberglass boxes the brown ones ? It seemed like we tried those before and they break easy.
I haven't seen anything but tan colored boxes from Allied Molded - in boxes designed for use with NM cable anyway. Have seen some other larger fiberglass enclosures from them in gray color - like ones you would use to enclose equipment in corrosive environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.