My sons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolfan

Hi guys, it's been a while since I have posted. I'm going on 30 years in the trade and I'm happy to be in the position of telling anyone to go "*** ..........in my mind only. LOL. I have 10 years non-union, 11 years union, 9 years on my own. That be said, people often ask me, why I don't have my sons working for me. They are both in college at the moment and that answers the question for now, but I was wondering who would want to drag there sons into this line of work? I also would like to let everyone know, that I'm ready for some football! :thumbsup:

Language edit

Last edited by a moderator:

kwired

Electron manager
Hi guys, it's been a while since I have posted. I'm going on 30 years in the trade and I'm happy to be in the position of telling anyone to go .in my mind only. LOL. I have 10 years non-union, 11 years union, 9 years on my own. That be said, people often ask me, why I don't have my sons working for me. They are both in college at the moment and that answers the question for now, but I was wondering who would want to drag there sons into this line of work? I also would like to let everyone know, that I'm ready for some football! :thumbsup:
Are we twins separated at birth?

I could have truthfully said most of what you did.

Both my boys think I am stupid for working hard and in some of the conditions I do. Neither has had any interest in working for me, and though they have helped some at times it has always been when I truly needed mostly pure physical labor - so I guess they probably think that is all I do is hard labor work. If they would have showed an interest in learning more electrical theory/methods/etc. they certainly could have gotten more involved in less physical tasks. It is right up the alley of interests they do have - both are big into computers. The older one is a computer/network technician on a college campus.

Though the older one (is now 26) is starting to not think so much that way now that he has his own house, is married, and has seen a dose of the real world. He is also realizing that his four years of college may not be as important as he thought it was before he went. Not that college is bad, but they like to make some of these kids think you are nothing if you don't at least achieve a BA. His current job, and most in his major field of study only really need maybe a two year associate degree.

Work ethic of most people below 30 stinks though these days. When it comes to jobs in the construction/mechanical trades they are no longer exposed to much when they are younger either. Years ago you could get a job as a helper in some shops but labor laws shield those people and only the ones that have some natural drive to do some of this activity are the ones that have enough interest to find a way to do something while still fairly young. It is pathetic to see 18-19 year old's that don't even know how to read a tape measure, I probably was 10 years old and could give you an accurate to a 16th of an inch measurement.

chris1971

Hi guys, it's been a while since I have posted. I'm going on 30 years in the trade and I'm happy to be in the position of telling anyone to go **....in my mind only. LOL. I have 10 years non-union, 11 years union, 9 years on my own. That be said, people often ask me, why I don't have my sons working for me. They are both in college at the moment and that answers the question for now, but I was wondering who would want to drag there sons into this line of work? I also would like to let everyone know, that I'm ready for some football! :thumbsup:

Let your kids make the decision whether they want to work for you. It shouldn't be forced upon them. Go Pack Go!!!!

Besoeker

I have three children and all have worked for me during school holidays. It turned out to be just fine.
My sweet wife worked for me (in admin) for about 15 years before deciding that she wanted to retire. What she did has been farmed out to three people who are making a complete hash of it. I'd have her back in a heartbeat.

And, just for the record, I can't stand football, neither the American nor the British version.

:)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
anyone that works for themselves feels that way at some point. it is a lot tougher to make a living that way than most people think. some people are able to hanlde it, others not.

kwired

Electron manager
Well I guess I owe an apology, so ... sorry.

I'll make sure I keep my stiff shirt on in here.
Well I saw the video you linked to before it was removed - it was kind of funny for some, maybe offensive to others, but definitely not the kind of material the site owner wants to have on the site, so we have to respect that and the moderators do a good job of keeping it at a mostly friendly environment here.

oldsparky52

Well I saw the video you linked to before it was removed - it was kind of funny for some, maybe offensive to others, but definitely not the kind of material the site owner wants to have on the site, so we have to respect that and the moderators do a good job of keeping it at a mostly friendly environment here.

I thought it was hilarious (and still do). I bet the mods would be surprised about how many members would think it was funny. But like you said, it's not my playground.

kwired

Electron manager
I thought it was hilarious (and still do). I bet the mods would be surprised about how many members would think it was funny. But like you said, it's not my playground.
Some of them wouldn't hesitate one bit to remove it here, but would be right in the thick of commentary on other sites - again have to look at who owns the playground and what their wishes are.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Well, dang. Missed a movie. That's what I get for taking a few days off. Portions of them anyway.

electricalist

My son asks every day if he can go to go to work with me, he has eagerly helped on a few small jobs. He says things like why cant i go to work with dad and make money. He really boost my ego when he does get to go with me,,,,he usually stands right by me and tells the customers,,,itsa my daddy hes working ,he fix a light,,,,,,daddy working,,,,,i need a cup ,,,,,i sleepy. He 3 so dock his pay a little
My bad my story doesnt apply☆☆☆☆☆

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is not a mod think. We try and understand what is acceptable by the site owners. I am sure there are many mods who would not be offended by this but that is where we have to use our discretion as to what Mikey wants. :D I think Gus made the right call for this site

Dolfan

I missed it too. Let me guess, it was Tom Brady watching the first Patriots game from his living room.:lol:

Rolson

Are we twins separated at birth?

I could have truthfully said most of what you did.

Both my boys think I am stupid for working hard and in some of the conditions I do. Neither has had any interest in working for me, and though they have helped some at times it has always been when I truly needed mostly pure physical labor - so I guess they probably think that is all I do is hard labor work. If they would have showed an interest in learning more electrical theory/methods/etc. they certainly could have gotten more involved in less physical tasks. It is right up the alley of interests they do have - both are big into computers. The older one is a computer/network technician on a college campus.

Though the older one (is now 26) is starting to not think so much that way now that he has his own house, is married, and has seen a dose of the real world. He is also realizing that his four years of college may not be as important as he thought it was before he went. Not that college is bad, but they like to make some of these kids think you are nothing if you don't at least achieve a BA. His current job, and most in his major field of study only really need maybe a two year associate degree.

Work ethic of most people below 30 stinks though these days. When it comes to jobs in the construction/mechanical trades they are no longer exposed to much when they are younger either. Years ago you could get a job as a helper in some shops but labor laws shield those people and only the ones that have some natural drive to do some of this activity are the ones that have enough interest to find a way to do something while still fairly young. It is pathetic to see 18-19 year old's that don't even know how to read a tape measure, I probably was 10 years old and could give you an accurate to a 16th of an inch measurement.
Whoa let's not throw a whole generation under the bus because of person. If you think they have a lousy work ethic just remember who their parents are and taught them everything they know

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Rolson

I tend to agree with you. Is it enviroment or heredity causing the shortcomings, if any?
I think it is a environment change coupled with parents, teachers, and media saying to be anyone in society you must go to a 4 year college and have desk job with a 25 sqaure feet cubical. But the newer generation has push the bounds of work smarter not harder and are very collaborative with customer which should form strong relationships. Just my thoughts on the situation. By the way I am 27 and I agree the dynamic workforce moving away from hands can only be a benefit to the ones in that career field. Less competition typically means more money and better employee benefits.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

mwm1752

Hi guys, it's been a while since I have posted. I'm going on 30 years in the trade and I'm happy to be in the position of telling anyone to go "*** ..........in my mind only. LOL. I have 10 years non-union, 11 years union, 9 years on my own. That be said, people often ask me, why I don't have my sons working for me. They are both in college at the moment and that answers the question for now, but I was wondering who would want to drag there sons into this line of work? I also would like to let everyone know, that I'm ready for some football! :thumbsup:

Language edit

I've had both of my sons work with me at different times - neither one had moved to jump into business with me but both have the knowledge to help them further careers. My eldest likes carpentry and his understanding of res wiring is helpful - my youngest decided to go to college but has the opportunity to work electrical and PV as he funds his schooling. Career decisions are personal but a little time in the field has been helpful for both my sons. FYI I have no problem in my career path, it raised my family & gave me time to participate in the lives. Go Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.