Straw Bale Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

mint402

Found a short thread from 2012.....wonder if anybody has any experience with this since then.....we are bidding a house...and looking for advice on estimating compared to usual stick frame. I've searched and found general articles and videos.....mostly suggesting chain saw to hollow out box holes, wire runs, wood spikes driven in to attach the box too.....generally suggest masonry boxes but I see pictures of all kinds....

Most seem to be slipping regular NM between bales or in the sliced slots, supposedly deep enough not to get contacted by the plaster/stucco, but others suggest UF be used.....and a few talk conduit.... sounds a little like the recent thread on NM embedded (at least by boxes) in a thread about FLorida wiring techniques....

Anybody got some real world, code compatible thoughts on best practice and the extra effort it entails?

Thanks.

chris1971

Not sure if I'd use Romex wire for a straw bale house. How about PVC. That might be better option. Check with the AHJ.

mwm1752

Not embedded in adobe when set between the bales -- wiring methods for straw bales and log homes are determined by how they are constructed. Seems each GC has thier own way of building which challenges the sparky when wiring the structure. The most freindly build fo a straw bail was when a post & beam structure was built to mount boxes & staple nm out of the chain saw path. the entire perimeter was built up 3" for insulation prior to bales(great place to prewire, as for wall fixtures 2x2 thru bale attach 4"-6" plywood on both sides & mount a box that recess in order to be flush( nothing in straw bale can ever be perfectly secure) . You can find ways to protect the nm from adobe finish in how you enter the box or sleeve the exposed in a non metalic flexible raceway. All in all its a learning experience that evloves constanttly -- good luck

mint402

Good insight...thanks! Do you think we should figure on twice the usual effort for the runs/boxes in the bales themselves (as opposed to the parts that may be more "normal" if mounted on the post/beam/supports in general?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Good insight...thanks! Do you think we should figure on twice the usual effort for the runs/boxes in the bales themselves (as opposed to the parts that may be more "normal" if mounted on the post/beam/supports in general?
I would figure twice the work for the whole project. Once you get away from standard, stick frame difficulty goes up.

donaldelectrician

I lived just south of Woodstock NY for a while and there were 2 straw bale houses .

I do not know how they were wired but i would go with PVC pipe to be safe .

Anything wrong with that ?

Don

Last edited:

laketime

We have done two now. In Idaho the inspector did not allow NM cable in the straw due to wetness of clay and dust fire hazard. We ended up using emt and stubbing out with UF.

Status
Not open for further replies.