Price Per Sq FT

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I was asked by a builder for a budget estimate for a code minimum house. The caveat is they want a 400amp service and price doesn't include lighting, switches, plates or low volt. I am thinking $4/ft based on some other projects we have done but we usually don't do code minimum houses. What kind of numbers do you guys see?

peter d

Square foot pricing only works on cookie cutter houses where everything is specified ahead of time and there are no changes or variables. For everything else, a takeoff and line by line estimate is required.

laketime

I agree and that is how I usually bid all houses I do...for this case since there is not much information and they are just looking for a rough budget number to start planning.

GUNNING

get a signed contract first.

get a signed contract first.

I agree and that is how I usually bid all houses I do...for this case since there is not much information and they are just looking for a rough budget number to start planning.
Tell them to give you a rough plan to look at with a general geographic area, and you might be able to help them. What they are asking for is a low enough number to beat you up with when the plan, that exists, is released. If you preface your WAG with a statement that it will bear no resemblance to an actual cost because of the lack of information, you can underprice it and still look helpful. When they produce a plan and you make corrections, they are going to question every little change and look at you funny. Then tell them you get what you pay for. OR get them to commit to you the project first with a definitive maximum profit plus a % of material and labor costs provided. Otherwise you are doing leg work for no rewards.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Go back and look at the previous houses you've done and divide the cost by the square footage and that will tell you what your square footage price is.

cdslotz

Go back and look at the previous houses you've done and divide the cost by the square footage and that will tell you what your square footage price is.

I would do this also at this point....and tell them what you are allowing for such as, fixtures you typically supply, and what it typically excludes, etc. Add more for the 400A service
Budgetary only.. then when plans develop, you can start to layout and quantify.
You may have to do this a couple more times until construction dwgs are complete

kwired

Electron manager
They are feeling out for the lowest price they can get, then will try to make whoever gives them the lowest price stick to it after they start giving information on what they really want.

give them a high estimate - if you get it nobody else wanted to do it cheap either and you are the lucky one, otherwise you didn't miss anything other then lost profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.