PVC 100% watertight

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

I found this on a set of plans of a new construction that I am bidding "All conduit shown for outdoor work shall be schedule 40 PVC (3/4" minimum) All joints shall be cleaned with an approved solvent prior to gluing to ensure watertight connection. Any conduits found with water in them shall be replaced at the sole expense of the contractor"
Have you ever seen this before?

blkmagik21

I found this on a set of plans of a new construction that I am bidding "All conduit shown for outdoor work shall be schedule 40 PVC (3/4" minimum) All joints shall be cleaned with an approved solvent prior to gluing to ensure watertight connection. Any conduits found with water in them shall be replaced at the sole expense of the contractor"

Pvc will always have moisture in it. The conductors carry heat and any humidity in the air becomes condensate. Walk away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Pvc will always have moisture in it. The conductors carry heat and any humidity in the air becomes condensate. Walk away
@mtnelectrical

Before doing so, at least RFI that on behalf of everyone else in the trade. :eek:hmy:

BTW, you might suggest that engineering group look at HDPE conduit if they really want watertight as it is manufactured and sold by the coil or roll (even as cable in conduit) and can be installed without any underground joints.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

Someone needs to remind the engineer that it is pvc conduit, not pipe. It has no pressure rating and is not designed to be water tight.

kwired

Electron manager
I remember burying PVC one hot humid day a few years ago. Buried on Friday, never rained over the weekend, but on Monday when we pulled conductors through it, the pull rope had some dampness to it - was all condensation that originated within the conduit.

macmikeman

I remember burying PVC one hot humid day a few years ago. Buried on Friday, never rained over the weekend, but on Monday when we pulled conductors through it, the pull rope had some dampness to it - was all condensation that originated within the conduit.

Reminder to self: Stop relieving self into empty conduits after Friday night benders.....:eek:hmy:

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I worked at an orange juice plant where they had a refrigerated warehouse the size of a stadium. We installed several runs of conduit from inside the warehouse to outside. Outside was 90+ degrees and humid. We fully intended on blocking outside air flow with sealant, but until we did, water poured out of the pipes like a faucet was turned on.

blkmagik21

I worked at an orange juice plant where they had a refrigerated warehouse the size of a stadium. We installed several runs of conduit from inside the warehouse to outside. Outside was 90+ degrees and humid. We fully intended on blocking outside air flow with sealant, but until we did, water poured out of the pipes like a faucet was turned on.

Damn it, so this is why inspectors want ductseal between the meter and the panel? All this time lol

blkmagik21

ab5dac30f267bf58faf08a86d8dd0f14.jpeg

There is an instance where it is important to make careful primered water tight joints in electrical conduit and that is where you have a conduit sloping downhill into a basement. Multiple times i have seen a steady stream out of a conduit in such situations due to saturated soil and non watertight conduit joints. Unfortunately it is very hard to stop. There is a special foam product made for the purpose that is reputed to work well.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Someone needs to remind the engineer that it is pvc conduit, not pipe. It has no pressure rating and is not designed to be water tight.

Someone actually pooped in a 4" stub up on one of our jobs. Guys said the tape was cut, went over to inspect, found a nice turd sitting in the elbow.

Status
Not open for further replies.