3W Wiring Of A Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Which is the more common way to wire a 3W? See two different pics. Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture 2.jpg
    Capture 2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Method 1. Method 2 ends up stuffing the ceiling box. Method #1 is more idiot proof. :roll:

peter d

I wire it however it's convenient for me, it could be either of those two methods. I don't take into consideration what the "next guy" might have to deal with because any qualified and skilled electrician will be able to figure out a 3-way setup with ease.

JFletcher

I agree with infinity and K8MHZ. I always wire the feed at the switch (#1), but I do mostly residential. Older residential often has the feed at the light, and equally often have overfilled boxes

It's easier to add additional lights at the switch, and easier to remove a switch cover at chest level than removing a luminaire or ceiling fan off of a ladder.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With the newish aforementioned code section requiring a neutral in the box, the op's #1 is the only code compliant way for resi - unless you use 14-4, but I'm guessing not many do that and instead just avoid dead ends.
I think this was a Code change somewhere in either the 2008 or 2011 NEC. Neutrals are required at switch locations

Status
Not open for further replies.