wav file

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I need to record a wav file for one of my projects. The Hog Roaster.

Windows 10 apparently does not have that ability. My old 98 machine has it, but it does not recognize the thumb drive. Probably never had one back then.

Any hints on programs? One for either an ipad or Samsung tablet would work.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
On Windows 10 it's called Voice Recorder. I can't try it on my current computer because there's no microphone connected.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Not wav format though.

I think I found one. Free always has some sort of catch to it.
Well, I didn't know. Looked it up and it saves as m4a (MPEG 4 Audio; Apple popularized the codec). I rip all my audio using the alac (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) in the *.m4a file format.

I'm curious... why wav format? Because it is a lossless format?

I've not searched for a free audio app in a while as I own Cakewalk Sonar... but I seem to recall the following (earlier version) got good reviews:

https://shop.presonus.com/products/...io-One-3-Digital-Downloads/Studio-One-3-Prime

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I've been using Audacity for years to edit and play on-hold recordings. That comment about "distructive editing" is a crock. If you even use the effects that cause it, just back up the original file (like you should be doing anyway) before you bring it into Audacity.

You're not going to get anywhere with anything Apple. They live in their own world and charge for it.

What I would do is put Audacity on a Windows box and have at it. I assume you are recording this with a mic?

-Hal

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I've been using Audacity for years to edit and play on-hold recordings. That comment about "distructive editing" is a crock. If you even use the effects that cause it, just back up the original file (like you should be doing anyway) before you bring it into Audacity.
Most pro DAW's will not let you save as a file that is part of its mix.

You're not going to get anywhere with anything Apple. They live in their own world and charge for it.
The ALAC codec is freely distributed. Comparable to FLAC. Which one to use was a toss up. I only chose ALAC because I own an iPod Classic. It is the only Apple product I own. I may eventually convert my library to FLAC when I no longer use an iPod... and that point in time is approaching.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Why not just record an audio file in whatever format is available on the device you are using and then convert it to a wav? There are a dozen on line converters that pop up with a simple google search. Unless you need to do this regularly that seems the easiest way to me.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Why not just record an audio file in whatever format is available on the device you are using and then convert it to a wav? There are a dozen on line converters that pop up with a simple google search. Unless you need to do this regularly that seems the easiest way to me.
I don't know what Tom's requirements are, but I prefer any original recording to be in a lossless format.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Strathead stated what many do just get a free online converter. Most of them will do many formats to .wav but as also stated there may be a loss in quality. I generally can't hear it but some say they can..

It like vinyl-- my brothers says that vinyl is a much better sound than any CD format but I can't hear the difference. He says he can..

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It's like vinyl-- my brothers says that vinyl is a much better sound than any CD format but I can't hear the difference. He says he can..

I could too-when I was 20 or so. I always thought vinyl was horrible, with the inner-groove distortion, pops and noise. Other than stereo, the technology is exactly the same as Edison invented it over 100 years ago. Back then I couldn't wait until a better medium was invented. I got to transferring new "pristine" (if you could call it that) discs to 15ips reel-to-reel, but that was only to stop the degradation. And of course analog tape had it's own problems.

So the Millennials want to bring back vinyl? It's just like most things with them- they haven't got a clue.

I need to record a wav file for one of my projects. The Hog Roaster.

We haven't heard anything about the application. How about telling us what the audio is for? My impression is that it's a sound effect. If so there is no sense talking about what editor is going to produce the highest quality. Record it as an mp3 and convert it to wav.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
If the application requires wav format chances are it may not have the greatest output abilities anyway and any losses in converting file type will not be that significant on this application.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
If the application requires wav format chances are it may not have the greatest output abilities anyway and any losses in converting file type will not be that significant on this application.

It does not require any substantial sound quality. Just some volume.

Our annual Hog Roast is coming up and I will be adding a verbal alert to ''put another log on the fire" or cool it down as needed. That and the 9 AM alarm for the first official beer of the day. Nothing real fancy, but I do get to play with the toys er ah tools on occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.