Drilling into deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling into deck

Here's the situation. Have trapeze mount a transformer in an electrical room where conduits, duct, panels are already installed. When I was in the electrical closet there's about 7' from the conduits to the slab above. It's very congested. How would you drill the slab if you could only get the drill to about 7' away from the slab? not a 7' bit...lol..without removing the conduits? Thanks

Originally posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Here's the situation. Have trapeze mount a transformer in an electrical room where conduits, duct, panels are already installed. When I was in the electrical closet there's about 7' from the conduits to the slab above. It's very congested. How would you drill the slab if you could only get the drill to about 7' away from the slab? not a 7' bit...lol..without removing the conduits? Thanks
    If you can't get up there with a drill, how the heck are you going to mount the transformer????

Comment

Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post
      If you can't get up there with a drill, how the heck are you going to mount the transformer????
      Suspended below all the garbage on trapeze(s)?
      How to set the anchor into the concrete at that distance is a valid question.

Drill through the slab from above and puts nuts in recessed holes in the top of the slab?

Comment

Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post
        get the anchors in deck and drop rod below all the garbage. But how the hell are you gonna set the anchors.

Comment

get the anchors in deck and drop rod below all the garbage. But how the hell are you gonna set the anchors.
          Ahhh, I see your intent. How about powder actuated cartridges? Hilti makes a broad selection. The only caveat is sometimes job specs forbid them.

Comment

You may have to disassemble some of the existing equipment to get to the deck then reinstall it.
            Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Comment

how heavy a transformer? 112kva?
              slab post tension?
              robertson decking?
              structural steel you can hang off of?
              seismic support?

and a design with a structural engineers wet ink signature on it?

i've shot strut to the deck with a couple 10' long pieces of
              solid back strut, with a hilti gun with a strut nose on it.
              use 3/8" pins. lots of them. then drop rod from the strut, and hang
              the xfmr.

there is almost always a place where i can wiggle thru a layer
              of conduit. work some 6' pieces of 2x12 planking up thru the
              layer, and stand on them. the concrete should be an easy reach.

if the floor above isn't finished, lay out where you want the rods
              dropped,and drill a 1/2" hole all the way thru, blowing out the
              floor.

then go up on top and counterbore the holes with a 1 1/2' bit.
              go down 3". put a rod coupling and three 1/2" x 1 1/2" washers
              on 10' of running thread, and drop them down in the counterbored holes.

fill the holes up with hilti structural grout.
              ~New signature under construction.~
              ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Fulthrotl View Post
                slab post tension?
                robertson decking?
                seismic support?

the xfmr.

floor.

Sure, that's what I would do, that's what you would do, what the op wants to know is how do you do this with a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and sticky notes and not loose out on a bonus.
                If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

How wide is the room and what are the walls made of? You could possibly run strut from wall to wall below everything else and hang the transformer from the strut.
                  Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
                    How wide is the room and what are the walls made of? You could possibly run strut from wall to wall below everything else and hang the transformer from the strut.
                    I like the idea. It has simplicity and cheapness going for it.
                    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
                      Sure, that's what I would do, that's what you would do, what the op wants to know is how do you do this with a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and sticky notes and not loose out on a bonus.
                      oh. got it. sorry.
                      to the original poster:

send lots of RFI's. to the people you have the contract with, instead of us.
                      hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by petersonra View Post
                        I like the idea. It has simplicity and cheapness going for it.
                        that does have a certain appeal. i like it.

it'd be even easier if we put it at floor level, bolted it to the walls,
                        and sat the transformer on top of it. let's do it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Fulthrotl View Post
                          slab post tension?
                          robertson decking?
                          seismic support?

the xfmr.

floor.

wow impressive. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post
                            Lol... no . The feedback is all I needed.

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
                              About 8'. That's a good thought. Just have to make sure that span could support xfrmr.

Comment

Working...
                              X