500 Termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Have to terminate some #500 cables in a manhole. There will be fusible "crabs" with pigtails and we have to hypress with a compression connection and heat shrink. Any input on approximately how much time for each #500? Based on my research I'm thinking about 1.5-2 hours each. Thanks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Where do I sign up? :D

At 1.5-2 hours each, I could do that job and take the rest of the day or two off. I do realize in estimating you have to account for task prep and cleanup... so let's say 2 hours for one and .5 for each additional.

oldsparky52

Where do I sign up? :D

At 1.5-2 hours each, I could do that job and take the rest of the day or two off. I do realize in estimating you have to account for task prep and cleanup... so let's say 2 hours for one and .5 for each additional.

Unless this is something that is performed routinely, I think I'd be closer to an hour each. I'm not saying you can't do it in 1/2 hour, I just think if I do, I should get paid for the hour :) (probably lose the job because of this).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Then IMO, 30-minutes is too little time allowance.
30 minutes is only for repeats, one after the other. Once set up, it probably takes but 10 minutes max actual. 2-hours for first splice, prep and cleanup. It does not include extra time for manhole safety issues.

oldsparky52

On a little bit of a side note but related to this....IT say to provide cable limiters on all service cables. I've seen these before(below). Does the two hole portion of the limiter get attached somewhere in the manhole or at the service switchboard? Thanks.

https://www.grainger.com/product/1E...8597!&ef_id=WPuqngAAAPDYx0o6:20170808123855:s

Thank you for posting this stuff because it gives me a chance to learn some things I have not been exposed to.

I do however have a question, do the drawings not have any details on what the EE is expecting?

mstrlucky74

Thank you for posting this stuff because it gives me a chance to learn some things I have not been exposed to.

I do however have a question, do the drawings not have any details on what the EE is expecting?

No problem. No they don't. I can find out exactly how they are used from my testing/splicing guy or engineer but I like to have some understanding before hand from the "experts/installers". Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.