Light Pole Grounding Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Would this be a bare conductor or insulated? Thinking some of it would be exposed to the earth? Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 13

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
:D

I asked about this awhile back, members said it is a common boilplate spec. Did not used to be, I never installed any rods at pole lights in yesteryears.
I think it's a combination of things. Utility company light poles traditionally required a ground rod so I think a lot of folks carried that tradition on for everything, then there are those who are not dirt worshipers but don't want to be called anti dirt so they spec a ground rod anyway.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have seen this requirement in the occasional government spec. I think it is to prevent a travesty. Note, I did not say prevent a tragedy, as it cannot do that. But if a person is shocked while touching a light pole, and the investigation reveals that the electrician "failed" to install a "proper" ground rod, the resulting legal ramifications would amount to a travesty.

I once received a comment on a government project to the effect that I needed to add a ground rod at a light pole. I asked the commenter why, stating that it would serve no purpose and absolutely could not prevent a person from receiving a shock. His response: "I know. But I want one anyway."

cdslotz

:D

I asked about this awhile back, members said it is a common boilplate spec. Did not used to be, I never installed any rods at pole lights in yesteryears.

I've installed thousands of poles in my career....I've never seen a spec that doesn't require one

jeremysterling

A GC asked my employer to tidy up a multi-family site lighting after the EC left town. My PM told me to install ground rods for fifty non-metallic direct burial poles as required by a municipal ordinance for light poles. Luckily, the original EC returned and I departed.

Status
Not open for further replies.