Parallel Conduit Run Discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

I always here conflicting answers to this. The thought is there is a time savings if you running parallel runs of conduits. Say if you have 5 sets of 3" conduits on a shared rack( say 200' point to point) should the labor unit be adjusted down for these conduits as opposed to running a single 3"? I usually adjust down 25% from the labor unit...so if I'm using 10 hours per C I would use 7.5 C for parallel runs.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the run is straight a lot of the labor is in building and installing the racks. So I agree with you that it should be faster to run additional conduits on those racks.

cdslotz

Most software programs already discount labor for parallel feeder runs.

I'm surprised you haven't noticed that

kwired

Electron manager
It won't take 5 times as long as just installing one raceway takes, but it will still take more time then it takes to install just one raceway, you have 5 times as many pieces to handle when it comes to raceway itself, and weight of 3 inch factors in a lot more then weight of 1 inch would, especially if it is GRC.

mstrlucky74

Then why did you start this thread asking the question you already knew the answer to?

Come on seriously? The estimating program can tell you one thing but actual or other peoples opinion may be different. Maybe some others have ran into things/circumstances that don't make it as fast etc. etc.

I said I was aware of the labor discount for parallel runs!!

cdslotz

should the labor unit be adjusted down for these conduits as opposed to running a single 3"?

Your software says it should....you can always change it in the audit trail depending on difficulty. You could double or triple it.
btw.....every estimating system I have ever used, (even before computers), and every labor unit book I have used, (when we hand labored everything), used the same discounts.
been that way since when I started in the 70's......lol

I usually adjust down 25% from the labor unit...so if I'm using 10 hours per C I would use 7.5 C for parallel runs.

so....you discounted it 25% even when your software already did it for you? Where did you come up with 25% ?

mstrlucky74

Your software says it should....you can always change it in the audit trail depending on difficulty. You could double or triple it.
btw.....every estimating system I have ever used, (even before computers), and every labor unit book I have used, (when we hand labored everything), used the same discounts.
been that way since when I started in the 70's......lol

so....you discounted it 25% even when your software already did it for you? Where did you come up with 25% ?

We override the software out of the box estimating labor factors(up/down) to our own for ceiling heights, parallel runs, work above existing hung ceilings, congested work spaces and a variety of other job/install conditions? BTW what estimating program are you using?

Unbridled

Labor Units

Labor Units

The labor unit for one run of 3" includes variables such as material organization and material staging, Scaffold / Lift positioning.
These variables decline tremendously when running parallel runs of 3", lowering the linear footage labor rate over-all.
The more Parallel Conduits - the less variables per unit, thus a lower labor unit per ft. or C/FT
The majority of estimating system's labor rates are based on 100 FT. Lowering that quantity or increasing that quantity should be addressed by editing your labor unit up or down with the change in length.
I, myself won't change the labor unit unless the run is +/- 25%.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.