Estimating

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdslotz

it does because there are hours involved for any activity. work hours = $$$

If you are estimating, then what blkmajic said...you can double your estimated labor hours if you think your guys are going to do damage.
But your competition may have more experience running this conduit without damaging it, and you will price yourself out of a job.

But, if your asking if you can get a change order to cover the damage YOUR guys did.....good luck with that....lol

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
When installing PVC coated conduits, can we charge for repair for damaged coating? Thanks

If it's due to your installation methods or failure to store and handle properly, then no. There are a lot of ways to mishandle this product during installation.

If it's due to another trade trashing your installation, then technically yes. I say technically because unless you carefully document the condition of every stick and fitting you install, even if you identify the culprit, it will devolve into a he-said she-said contest.

If you want to carry an internal cost because you know from experience your crew will do "X" amount of damage, that's fine. As others have pointed out, more experienced crews may carry lower internal costs. I wouldn't carry anything in the estimate for outsiders damaging things, unless you expect unrecoverable costs. In any event, you certainly don't want to make it a line item in the estimate you transmit to the client.

follybeacher

Occupation
Estimator
hey guys! first post here, but love the forum and our industry! I don't think that's a dumb question... I'm trying to get under the wing of our estimator and will have really dumb questions soon :dunce:

we had guys tearing up the pvc coating as the threader jaws would shred it and they would consistently have to use touch up compound... not very efficient and certainly had labor factor impact. we observed this and purchased some half shell / clam shell jaw adapters (for each dia of pipe) to keep that from happening and allowing us to use our standard equipment.

perhaps rather than add labor for touch up, you price in the proper tooling?

cdslotz

perhaps rather than add labor for touch up, you price in the proper tooling?

What difference does it make?....add dollars for labor or equipment?

Published labor units allow for the difficulty of dealing with this type of conduit...not repair or inexperience with this type of conduit.

If you feel you need to add for either situation...do so

but ...you're at a disadvantage from your competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.