Existing Electric Baseboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

I am direct replacing some baseboard heat .
The Math comes to a little over 19 amps at 240v I know it should be 80% on a 20 amp circuit.
Am I doing the wrong thing by simply changing the baseboards or should I try to split up run new circuits ect?

JFletcher

I am direct replacing some baseboard heat .
The Math comes to a little over 19 amps at 240v I know it should be 80% on a 20 amp circuit.
Am I doing the wrong thing by simply changing the baseboards or should I try to split up run new circuits ect?

Fixed heating should only be at 80% of the circuit's ampacity as it's a continuous load. I'm guessing you're around 4600W on a 20A circuit (which is 'a little over 19A')?

Can you install slightly smaller heaters to get under 16A on a 20A breaker? I'd do that before rewiring.

kwired

Electron manager
Fixed heating should only be at 80% of the circuit's ampacity as it's a continuous load. I'm guessing you're around 4600W on a 20A circuit (which is 'a little over 19A')?

Can you install slightly smaller heaters to get under 16A on a 20A breaker? I'd do that before rewiring.
Or find a way to get a new circuit to some heaters. Just one or two of them is likely all that need separated from the others to get the load down enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.