Compression Splices

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Most of the time spec calls for mechanical splices but have to use compression in this case. Do compression take longer than mechanical and is so why? Any particular compression splice you guys favor? Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use Burndy with battery operated crimpers. Yes they take a little longer because you need to crimp both sides of the splice (anywhere from 2-5 per side) and then install a cold shrink. A Polaris type splice you just strip, insert, and torque. Done.

mstrlucky74

We use Burndy with battery operated crimpers. Yes they take a little longer because you need to crimp both sides of the splice (anywhere from 2-5 per side) and then install a cold shrink. A Polaris type splice you just strip, insert, and torque. Done.

Thanks. Why cold shrink and not heat shrink? Only familiar with heat shrink.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks. Why cold shrink and not heat shrink? Only familiar with heat shrink.

Cold shrinks require no tools and are somewhat more foolproof. In over 30 years I have never used heat shrinks on compression splices.

1381140982_3M%20Cold%20Shrink%20Tubes.jpg

Not sure what you're crimping but I use these for electric services :

https://commerce.ilsco.com/e2wShopp...9&parentLink=2100001183:3100012197:3100012379

If you have $$ to burn like Infinity does :D you can use a $600 - $700 Greenlee battery operated power crimper or you can get one of these for about $150:

https://www.delcity.net/store/V!Crimp-Heavy-Duty-Crimp-Tool/p_800107

At Mrluckys labor rate two journeymen using that battery crimper for two or three days will pay for itself over a manual crimper. :)

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
At Mrluckys labor rate two journeymen using that battery crimper for two or three days will pay for itself over a manual crimper. :)
If you're planning on making a lot of crimps maybe you're right.:thumbsup: While I'd love to have one of those power crimpers the job would have to justify the cost.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're planning on making a lot of crimps maybe you're right.:thumbsup: While I'd love to have one of those power crimpers the job would have to justify the cost.

I agree completely, for a few crimps on an occasional service the manual ones are fine but for any type of large work, big riser boxes or services, etc. the battery ones are the way to go. Would hate to do this by hand.

__owaEIFscYO0wFXpgiL0nCeDtmUcsa_Phz7Kc2Mxqlo-9WTA6lUiIdU4xQHTQ-D3VLCAVaDIVuP8fdfxz5tECS_I9Srj64rL-MyrVYJM8tJizvx_mTKy7-ZNlVQeW6UYbPL-jiZFaNwwAqAmjgpdhyYEBqjNg88z_ZvIfuk8F-yFDH5USkuxALqi9IHOkijEfrhGCrAo47SsFCgQuEBzZlUfwa2FsTW45vUwLpl0fczkvvsvviLZ86pukcZijOFNfx7uo7fVSb0gefEkQTMwIZPof1JJQfImM_22-eqpWDZTMXp2Hp56MZUAGYAXFz-4QdoJlC3mWo1m8jtO9eOoecPyugVPf86dD0mj4O2dYI7mlmeK9HRY9T82mjmRS44pQHvhxUYS-TQAgwlugG3m-oFBiKQy7wh3voSUdTGI0BiU3mom7OLtJQLtdKt9ldSWR-aIsQMRHy1iNvASbemZVovyLHGsQ3XXJ4tTksi37QnpUdEqC-6zvQEVMVbrRc03bNXS8LvHRAHm_zn2lUD6mtU4V937f300uJFIy-4fzqdPHt6wmbV1Tod7JPtTTgWiKNr-GjtKx8g9irms3hPsJZpDKOBt_aNyJmIt9oIa0YZFpltlBy_Jw=w1680-h950-no

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree. Nice work BTW !!! I've already had carpal tunnel surgery and my fingers occasionally lock up just from squeezing pliers for so many years.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Cold shrinks require no tools and are somewhat more foolproof. In over 30 years I have never used heat shrinks on compression splices.

yeah, it will.

the cold shrinks are faster by far
than heat shrinks, but far more expensive.

i've used the panduit heavy walled heat shrinks
a lot. it's UL listed for direct burial @600 volts.
the panduit stuff is in 3' and 4' lengths. you cut
to fit.

it's 10%~20% of the cost of 3m cold shrinks.

mstrlucky74

No tools? How is it done?

active1

$150. Too much money.
Try this hyralic crimper for $40:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Hydraulic-Terminal/dp/B00CUQ042Q

The catch is they are both sold as battery cable crimpers. The one I posted is 10 ton.
Think the dies are metric sizes.

For only $20 you got your hammer crimper:
https://www.amazon.com/TEMCo-Hammer...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XJP4VT9SZ2RA8F3N00V2

Good for up to 4/0.
LOL

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

We bought one and used it so much it burned up the motor and so we had to buy another one.

I figure we probably broke even after crimping a few hundred 1/0 cables.

We have one for doing smaller terminals as well (I think it goes up to #8 wire). faster and a better crimp than can be done by hand, plus no carpal tunnel syndrome.

mstrlucky74

Approx how long would you say it would take to install a #600 cold shrink? 15 minutes tops?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
$150. Too much money.
Try this hyralic crimper for $40:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Hydraulic-Terminal/dp/B00CUQ042Q

The catch is they are both sold as battery cable crimpers. The one I posted is 10 ton.
Think the dies are metric sizes.

a lot of jobs are specifying witness marks on the crimps to verify UL approval.
the correctly sized die, when swaged, will leave a die mark raised in the swage mark.

these critters are the reason why. not UL listed termination.

Status
Not open for further replies.