2 Seprate Conduit Runs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Always curious about this. Would you guys actually run 2 separate conduits from the panels to the equipment a shown or one pipe with all three circuits to a box near the equipment then branch from there. What the determining factor as to which way it would be done? Thanks.

Attachments

• Pages from 10115 - ELECTRICAL 7-14-17.pdf
    78.6 KB · Views: 1

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think it depends on whether the drawings as shown are a suggestion or a requirement. If just a suggestion, do whatever makes sense, considering all the factors involved. If a requirement, than run two conduits like the drawing shows.

mstrlucky74

I think it depends on whether the drawings as shown are a suggestion or a requirement. If just a suggestion, do whatever makes sense, considering all the factors involved. If a requirement, than run two conduits like the drawing shows.

Thanks. I have the same equipment setup in another closet about 150' away going to the same LP3B-LMC panel. I ask my self why would you runs conduit al the way. Wouldn't it make sense to run MC from a point near the panel to a point near the equipment if you have hung/accessible ceilings.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Unless the drawing is incorrect it looks like they're coming from two different panels. If they're from the same panel I would run one conduit.

cdslotz

Thanks. I have the same equipment setup in another closet about 150' away going to the same LP3B-LMC panel. I ask my self why would you runs conduit al the way. Wouldn't it make sense to run MC from a point near the panel to a point near the equipment if you have hung/accessible ceilings.

Because running MC 150' in a commercial building is hack imo...probably is against the spec too...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Because running MC 150' in a commercial building is hack imo...probably is against the spec too...

what's wrong with MC? It is perfectly acceptable by code. As long as the spec does not prohibit it and it is installed in an appropriate manner who cares? It's not a beauty contest, and probably no one is going to see it anyway once the install is complete. Besides, MC has its own kind of beauty. :)

mstrlucky74

what's wrong with MC? It is perfectly acceptable by code. As long as the spec does not prohibit it and it is installed in an appropriate manner who cares? It's not a beauty contest, and probably no one is going to see it anyway once the install is complete. Besides, MC has its own kind of beauty. :)

Agree

cdslotz

I bet a dollar to a donut that those specs allow MC only in furred walls and fixture whips, ....just a guess
The tags on those circuits show 3/4"C ......do you just ignore that?
It also leads me to believe there is a 3/4" minimum spec....

Just as an in-house company policy, we do not run MC home runs, and we use a hard pipe main trunk for MWBC's with J-boxes and drops to furred walls and up to fixture whips

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I bet a dollar to a donut that those specs allow MC only in furred walls and fixture whips, ....just a guess
The dwg also clearly shows running two separate conduits yet the consensus seems to be that requirement should be ignored in favor of running just one. And why does it need to be #12? Maybe you could get by with #14. How far are we willing to go on cheating on the requirements in the specs and the dwgs?

cdslotz

The dwg also clearly shows running two separate conduits yet the consensus seems to be that requirement should be ignored in favor of running just one. And why does it need to be #12? Maybe you could get by with #14. How far are we willing to go on cheating on the requirements in the specs and the dwgs?

Because the tags say #12...what is the point to this statement?

mrlucky74 already stated they were coming from the same panel, according to the schedules

mstrlucky74

It also leads me to believe there is a 3/4" minimum spec....

Just as an in-house company policy, we do not run MC home runs, and we use a hard pipe main trunk for MWBC's with J-boxes and drops to furred walls and up to fixture whips

MC cable is allowed above hung ceilings.
We don't run MC homeruns either. I'm talking about pipe from panel to a box close by then MC 150' to another box by the equipment then conduit to the equipment.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Because the tags say #12...what is the point to this statement?

mrlucky74 already stated they were coming from the same panel, according to the schedules

because if you are going to ignore one thing on the dwgs for your own convenience why can't you ignore anything you don't want to do, especially if it still meets code.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

#12 is the minimum conductor size in mrluckys jurisdiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.