Running Homeruns

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

If you guys had a panel 50’ away feeding this area would yourun separate MC cables to a box close to the panel or would you just run a conduithomerun pipe with several circuits? Just curious how you guys would do this?Thanks.

Attachments

• 00024_E-101.00.pdf
    113.4 KB · Views: 0

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For just 4 or 5 circuits I would probably just run MC cable. I could probably run 5 runs of MC faster than I could install the conduit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the ceiling is accessible I also would run a 3/4" conduit up out of the panel and then run mc from there. This helps with the number of ko's needed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you guys had a panel 50’ away feeding this area would yourun separate MC cables to a box close to the panel or would you just run a conduithomerun pipe with several circuits? Just curious how you guys would do this?Thanks.

How are you getting the MC cables into the panel?

mstrlucky74

How are you getting the MC cables into the panel?

Your not...as Dennis said I would homerun pipe from the panel out of the closet to an accessible ceiling, probably about a 10'-15 pipe run to a box then MC cable from there to the construction space.

cdslotz

Didn't we just have this discussion?

What do your specs say?

What is your company policy about homeruns in MC or not?

I say, running homeruns in MC is hack

I say running MC 150' (like the example in your separate conduit thread) is hack

others will jump on my statement and say"what's wrong with MC homeruns, or running long footages in MC?...Who cares what it looks like? It will be covered up"....lol

mstrlucky74

Didn't we just have this discussion?

What do your specs say?

What is your company policy about homeruns in MC or not?

I say, running homeruns in MC is hack

I say running MC 150' (like the example in your separate conduit thread) is hack

others will jump on my statement and say"what's wrong with MC homeruns, or running long footages in MC?...Who cares what it looks like? It will be covered up"....lol

I didn't mean MC homeruns as I clarified...I said a short HR out of the panel to a box and then MC from there to the space. My specs always say conduit out of panel to first box.

I said it was 50' run.

active1

For me it would really just depend how accessible the work area is.
Also the difficulty of getting the EMT to that location.

Such a going thru a busy public area to access it's easier to push a cart with tools, a roll of mc cable, and other small material.
Where EMT could require more manpower to safely bring thru PA's.
If you don't have service elevators and need to go between floors, a tool cart may be acceptable to go on the elevator.
But EMT may need to be carried up the stairs.

Another plus with MC cable is unlimited number of bends if there is not a good path.
If the run is cluttered and no 1 elevation is clear, MC may be the way to go.

I love conduit, being rom Chicagoland most everything was conduit.
Don't really like doing EMT on small runs. Takes more tools, material, and trips than MC.
For service MC can be better. Trying to fit in access hatches or between ceiling grid can be a Challenger.

But it really depends on the location. 50' along clean brick wall, EMT. 50' Across a ceiling stuffed with mechanicals, MC.
Will it be exposed to who, and what also is a factor.

mstrlucky74

For me it would really just depend how accessible the work area is.
Also the difficulty of getting the EMT to that location.

Such a going thru a busy public area to access it's easier to push a cart with tools, a roll of mc cable, and other small material.
Where EMT could require more manpower to safely bring thru PA's.
If you don't have service elevators and need to go between floors, a tool cart may be acceptable to go on the elevator.
But EMT may need to be carried up the stairs.

Another plus with MC cable is unlimited number of bends if there is not a good path.
If the run is cluttered and no 1 elevation is clear, MC may be the way to go.

I love conduit, being rom Chicagoland most everything was conduit.
Don't really like doing EMT on small runs. Takes more tools, material, and trips than MC.
For service MC can be better. Trying to fit in access hatches or between ceiling grid can be a Challenger.

But it really depends on the location. 50' along clean brick wall, EMT. 50' Across a ceiling stuffed with mechanicals, MC.
Will it be exposed to who, and what also is a factor.

Thanks. It would be run above existing hung 2x2 ceilings down corridors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Your not...as Dennis said I would homerun pipe from the panel out of the closet to an accessible ceiling, probably about a 10'-15 pipe run to a box then MC cable from there to the construction space.

Nothing wrong with that.

kwired

Electron manager
That means you already have raceway, benders, and other raceway installing items on site. If the long home run is straight, you can put it up pretty quick, if it has a lot of bending and fitting then the cable may be quicker, Either way you still have that cable to raceway transition, just at a different point in the installation.

mstrlucky74

That means you already have raceway, benders, and other raceway installing items on site. If the long home run is straight, you can put it up pretty quick, if it has a lot of bending and fitting then the cable may be quicker, Either way you still have that cable to raceway transition, just at a different point in the installation.

Thanks

Unbridled

Look past your current project.

Look past your current project.

I just think installing HR's in EMT in ceilings to J- boxes and continue on with MC in wall partitions just looks like a more professional job. Granted it may take a little more labor, but GC's and owners notice and can effect whether or not you get another job with them without having to be the low bidder. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

teco

Depends on the loads and how many circuits. Derating when choosing the conduit over MC could greatly change the wiring method. You'll also need to derate for the conduit out of the panel if it's over a certain length.

kwired

Electron manager
Depends on the loads and how many circuits. Derating when choosing the conduit over MC could greatly change the wiring method. You'll also need to derate for the conduit out of the panel if it's over a certain length.
Ampacity adjustments for number of current carrying conductors in raceway is understandable, length of circuit may require increase in conductor size because of voltage drop and effects cable or raceway methods, but if already increasing size for ampacity adjustments - you may have already taken care of voltage drop because of the increase.

I just think installing HR's in EMT in ceilings to J- boxes and continue on with MC in wall partitions just looks like a more professional job. Granted it may take a little more labor, but GC's and owners notice and can effect whether or not you get another job with them without having to be the low bidder. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, I would love to do top quality, most aesthetically pleasing work all the time. However, the flip side to what you said is that the vast majority of non electricians, wont even notice or have an opinion on the difference between pipe and mc.

mstrlucky74

Don't agree it has any impact on odds of getting future work. Really makes no difference when concealed as long as its not a sh*& show.

Status
Not open for further replies.