Ground Wire From Ground Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Looks like this #6 ground wire is run without conduit. What type of insulation would be needed? Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 3

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since it can also be bare any insulation will do. If it's colored then not white or gray.

growler

The ground rod is not required per NEC (and is stupid) so i think you can do whatever you want with it, as long as its done per the plans.

It's a waste because look at the size of that huge concrete electrode that's buried in the ground compared to the rod.

I kind of disagree with you guys. Not in theory but in practice.

The NEC is not a design manual, it is a set of minimum safety standards. These drawings are engineering specs of how they want the light pole installed.

It may be a waste of money but that's not up to the electrician. The electrician must install according to job specs.

jumper

The NEC is not a design manual, it is a set of minimum safety standards. These drawings are engineering specs of how they want the light pole installed.

It may be a waste of money but that's not up to the electrician. The electrician must install according to job specs.

Efelon wrote to just do it to code and not specs/plans, Infinity made no reference as such, he and I only said it was prolly a waste.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I wasn't suggesting that they don't install as shown just that the rod won't do much.

I fully agree. If it is on the plans, you must install even if not required by NEC. My point was since it is not required by the NEC, there are no requirements beyond any instructions stated on the plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.