Ground Wire From Ground Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

That install in a common practice for NYC agencies.. they love to waste money

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jumper

I was told it was for lightning protection?

It offers a a very Very limited, basically useless, amount of lightning protection against a strike.

Any direct or close strike will likely blow the durn pole right off the base.

The costs outweigh the chance that the rod would actually be any measurable benefit.

In short, it's a myth, old wives tale, and pure baloney IMO.

mstrlucky74

It offers a a very Very limited, basically useless, amount of lightning protection against a strike.

Any direct or close strike will likely blow the durn pole right off the base.

The costs outweigh the chance that the rod would actually be any measurable benefit.

In short, it's a myth, old wives tale, and pure baloney IMO.

Wait so the lightning protection is suppose to save the poor from damage?

kwired

Electron manager
Wait so the lightning protection is suppose to save the poor from damage?
Assuming you meant pole there, the pole is typically taking on a lot of current in a direct strike whether there is a ground rod or not. The poor, maybe a homeless person sleeping at the base of the pole, also probably isn't very well protected either way.

Some of us have labeled those that specify ground rods where they won't really do much as "dirt worshipers"

mstrlucky74

Assuming you meant pole there, the pole is typically taking on a lot of current in a direct strike whether there is a ground rod or not. The poor, maybe a homeless person sleeping at the base of the pole, also probably isn't very well protected either way.

Sorry I did. So wouldn't the ground rod be helpful be helpful in the event of a lightning strike and someone standing near the pole.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry I did. So wouldn't the ground rod be helpful be helpful in the event of a lightning strike and someone standing near the pole.
If it has lower resistance then the pole base, then it will carry more current then the pole base. You are still in great danger if you are standing near the pole when it gets hit by lightning.

The high voltage and high frequency involved in lightning strikes makes rather high impedance paths for the under 1000 volt wiring systems look like nothing to the lightning strike.

If it has lower resistance then the pole base, then it will carry more current then the pole base. You are still in great danger if you are standing near the pole when it gets hit by lightning.

The high voltage and high frequency involved in lightning strikes makes rather high impedance paths for the under 1000 volt wiring systems look like nothing to the lightning strike.

I have personally done these jobs for NYCHA, the drawing reads to install a ground rod with a #6 copper conductor connected to it by means of cad weld. Also to connect the grounding electrode conductor in parallel with the grounding equipment conductor. I have argued this many times.....if there was a lightning strike this will destroy everything back to the panel and all the electronic equipment we have installed. The electrical engineer for NYCHAhas agreed with me, but insists to complete the job according to the spec.
We all have agreed that the ground rod serves absolutely no purpose in the installation. Like someone else here had mentioned....it’s a waste of money!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have personally done these jobs for NYCHA, the drawing reads to install a ground rod with a #6 copper conductor connected to it by means of cad weld. Also to connect the grounding electrode conductor in parallel with the grounding equipment conductor. I have argued this many times.....if there was a lightning strike this will destroy everything back to the panel and all the electronic equipment we have installed. The electrical engineer for NYCHAhas agreed with me, but insists to complete the job according to the spec.
We all have agreed that the ground rod serves absolutely no purpose in the installation. Like someone else here had mentioned....it’s a waste of money!

If you're not using a ground rod a lightning strike on the metal grounded pole would still have a direct connection to the EGC run with the branch circuit. I don't see how adding a rod changes that for the worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.