Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scaffolding vs. Lift

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Scaffolding vs. Lift

    When would one use/work off scaffold instead of lift? Thx

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

    #2
    1. Lift won’t go in the door.
    2. Short job inside a finished area with little or no movement once in place.

    We can usually find a lift of some sort that will go thru a door but protecting the flooring as it goes to that one room is a concern.
    Tom
    TBLO

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
      When would one use/work off scaffold instead of lift? Thx

      Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Are you referring to outside or inside? The basic answer would have to be when a scaffold is cheaper that a lift. When labor costs are included.


      I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

      Comment


        #4
        I have a job coming up to replace 400 watt HID's in a gymnasium with LED's. Scissor lift would be really nice. They won't let me bring one in there unless I lay 3/4 plywood on the floor to run it on. Doesn't seem worth it compared to just using scaffolding that they will let me roll on the floor as long as wheels are in good condition and won't damage the floor. They will have a thin protective cover on the floor either way, but already have this and use it whenever there is other then athletic activities happening on that floor.
        I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
          When would one use/work off scaffold instead of lift? Thx

          Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
          the answer is simple.

          use what is cost effective and/or practical.
          Bob

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by kwired View Post
            I have a job coming up to replace 400 watt HID's in a gymnasium with LED's. Scissor lift would be really nice. They won't let me bring one in there unless I lay 3/4 plywood on the floor to run it on. Doesn't seem worth it compared to just using scaffolding that they will let me roll on the floor as long as wheels are in good condition and won't damage the floor. They will have a thin protective cover on the floor either way, but already have this and use it whenever there is other then athletic activities happening on that floor.
            I have found that it isn't that big of a deal to move 4 x 8 sheets around. I would seriously question 3/4" plywood and explain it is actually more likely to hurt the floor in the event of mishandling and 3/8" masonite will hold up to the wheels of a lift all day long. I would be concerned about the scaffold, because what is described sounds like there is still potential for damage to the floor and who will be nailed for that. With the lift it is likely you just have a helper on the ground to box and unbox and to move the sheets of masonite as needed.

            And I did some repair on a warranty basis recently.


            I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by kwired View Post
              I have a job coming up to replace 400 watt HID's in a gymnasium with LED's. Scissor lift would be really nice. They won't let me bring one in there unless I lay 3/4 plywood on the floor to run it on. Doesn't seem worth it compared to just using scaffolding that they will let me roll on the floor as long as wheels are in good condition and won't damage the floor. They will have a thin protective cover on the floor either way, but already have this and use it whenever there is other then athletic activities happening on that floor.
              Finding a rental scaffold with good Wheels is going to be about as difficult as maneuvering sheets of plywood on the floor if they don't scratch the surface... I would think it would be almost impossible to turn a manlift on top of plywood without the plywood pivoting under the tires and scratching the floor.. then again, most gyms have pull-out bleachers and those wheels have quite a bit of weight on them and they do not damage the floor.

              Given that you're going to burn extra time safely moving either, I would rather have the time advantage of a lift in your case. Your helpers on the ground can move plywood in between unboxing new fixtures and taking old ones out
              Electricians do it until it Hertz!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by JFletcher View Post
                Finding a rental scaffold with good Wheels is going to be about as difficult as maneuvering sheets of plywood on the floor if they don't scratch the surface... I would think it would be almost impossible to turn a manlift on top of plywood without the plywood pivoting under the tires and scratching the floor.. then again, most gyms have pull-out bleachers and those wheels have quite a bit of weight on them and they do not damage the floor.

                Given that you're going to burn extra time safely moving either, I would rather have the time advantage of a lift in your case. Your helpers on the ground can move plywood in between unboxing new fixtures and taking old ones out

                Not quite sure what you mean about plywood pivoting. I know that it isn't an issue with 3/8" masonite. Personal experience and recent. Within the last year.


                I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Visited one very nice lobby where even with plywood, the lift cracked the very expensive tiled floor.
                  Front end cost isn't the real issue, but back end liability. New scaffold wheels are cheap in the long run.
                  It's my name going on that drawing, not yours. If what you want ain't right, it ain't going on the drawings!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Strathead View Post
                    Not quite sure what you mean about plywood pivoting. I know that it isn't an issue with 3/8" masonite. Personal experience and recent. Within the last year.
                    I was referring to the plywood turning with the wheels versus staying in place, I.e. the friction between the tires and plywood is greater than the friction between the plywood and the floor, however if it wasn't an issue, then I would not worry about it.

                    As far as a tiled floor cracking, that is why we had to use one of those combination A-frame extension ladders to do the sound system in a hotel lobby... They would not let us put a lift on it, and I am sure a lift would have cracked tiles... I took one of my glow rods and dropped it in various places on the floor... If it makes a thud sound, the tile was mortared correctly... If it makes a ringing sound like tapping a dinner plate, you can bet that tile will break under weight.
                    N/A for a gymnasium but a handy little piece of information should you ever want to check the Integrity of a tile floor
                    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
                      the lift cracked the very expensive tiled floor.
                      Every time I consider getting a lift to use inside a (usually expensive) residence, this is what I'm worried about. Installing a chandelier or fan on a 20 foot ceiling sucks when doing it off a 16ft A-frame ladder, but ladders don't crack floor tiles or grout. Lifts are very heavy on a small footprint.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Strathead View Post
                        I have found that it isn't that big of a deal to move 4 x 8 sheets around. I would seriously question 3/4" plywood and explain it is actually more likely to hurt the floor in the event of mishandling and 3/8" masonite will hold up to the wheels of a lift all day long. I would be concerned about the scaffold, because what is described sounds like there is still potential for damage to the floor and who will be nailed for that. With the lift it is likely you just have a helper on the ground to box and unbox and to move the sheets of masonite as needed.

                        And I did some repair on a warranty basis recently.
                        If I have the lift I don't need a helper. With scaffolding I will need to climb at each light location, doable but not so desirable for fat middle aged men With lift you let it do the work of elevating you. I used a lift in this same gym a couple years ago when they updated HVAC - it was HVAC contractors lift and they let me use it. School maintenance guys pulled their protective tarps over the floor then still wanted lift run on plywood. Floor was replaced not so long ago and they are very protective of it. With the thicker plywood their concern is that will help distribute weight of the lift over more surface. It probably is fine to run it right on the tarp, but they don't want to take the chance of breaking a floor board.

                        Originally posted by JFletcher View Post
                        Finding a rental scaffold with good Wheels is going to be about as difficult as maneuvering sheets of plywood on the floor if they don't scratch the surface... I would think it would be almost impossible to turn a manlift on top of plywood without the plywood pivoting under the tires and scratching the floor.. then again, most gyms have pull-out bleachers and those wheels have quite a bit of weight on them and they do not damage the floor.

                        Given that you're going to burn extra time safely moving either, I would rather have the time advantage of a lift in your case. Your helpers on the ground can move plywood in between unboxing new fixtures and taking old ones out
                        Floor under bleachers when pulled out isn't quite as guarded at this place, main court they are very particular about. When we ran lift on plywood a couple years ago we had no problem with plywood trying to pivot when turning. Not going to happen if you have more then one wheel on a sheet. even if you only have steer wheels on one sheet - if butted up against another sheet with the other two wheels on it - it can't really move because of the weight on that other sheet won't let it move.
                        I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X