Pulling Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarrMann

Just did two 150' pulls of 500 mcm. Three phase conductors, and a #4 ground. The 3.5" rigid conduits had 3 90s in them, and went up hill for 15' after the last 90. It was for 30 ton rooftop units. I paid $6.31 per foot for the 500 mcm, and $25 per crimped on southwire pulling head. Those pulling heads easily saved an hour or two of time. We just hooked the rope up with a swivel clevis (those aren't cheap, but neither is electrical work), and stepped on the tugger pedal switch. Not having to hear the guys go on about who makes the best pulling head might have been worth the $25/per on its own.

My local mayer electric supply has started paralleling pulls and crimping pull heads in house using some cool looking contraption southwire set them up with. They don't charge extra for the parallel. They offered to put both pulls on the same reel, one below the other, but i declined cause of the weight issue. All in all i think south wire has a lot going with their sim pull system. Its definitely saved me money on labor. My vote is for crimped on pulling heads.

Be sure to spec what order they offset the cables on the pulling end! Nothing looks worse than taping a blue conductor black, and a black one blue.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Pulling Heads

Just did two 150' pulls of 500 mcm. Three phase conductors, and a #4 ground. The 3.5" rigid conduits had 3 90s in them, and went up hill for 15' after the last 90. It was for 30 ton rooftop units. I paid $6.31 per foot for the 500 mcm, and $25 per crimped on southwire pulling head. Those pulling heads easily saved an hour or two of time. We just hooked the rope up with a swivel clevis (those aren't cheap, but neither is electrical work), and stepped on the tugger pedal switch. Not having to hear the guys go on about who makes the best pulling head might have been worth the $25/per on its own.

My local mayer electric supply has started paralleling pulls and crimping pull heads in house using some cool looking contraption southwire set them up with. They don't charge extra for the parallel. They offered to put both pulls on the same reel, one below the other, but i declined cause of the weight issue. All in all i think south wire has a lot going with their sim pull system. Its definitely saved me money on labor. My vote is for crimped on pulling heads.

Be sure to spec what order they offset the cables on the pulling end! Nothing looks worse than taping a blue conductor black, and a black one blue.

Is that because of a bad measurement, the offsetting cables should not effect the overall length of ordered cable ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WarrMann

Is that because of a bad measurement, the offsetting cables should not effect the overall length of ordered cable ?

No. It has nothing to do with overall length, just the amount of wire in the disconnect. The tugger we use only lets us pull so much cable out of the conduit and into the disconnect without setting up pulleys and ropes. 8 out of 10 times you're coming in the bottom of a disconnect, 10 for 10 on rooftop equipment, and 9 out of 10 you're routing your wires around the left side of the disconnect cause the handle mechanism is on the right. In a 400 amp,208v, 3 phase disconnect that means you will need that extra foot of blue wire to make it comfortably into the terminal. Unfortunately my wire stretcher is only good up to 1/0

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jusme123

Occupation
JW
No. It has nothing to do with overall length, just the amount of wire in the disconnect. The tugger we use only lets us pull so much cable out of the conduit and into the disconnect without setting up pulleys and ropes. 8 out of 10 times you're coming in the bottom of a disconnect, 10 for 10 on rooftop equipment, and 9 out of 10 you're routing your wires around the left side of the disconnect cause the handle mechanism is on the right. In a 400 amp,208v, 3 phase disconnect that means you will need that extra foot of blue wire to make it comfortably into the terminal. Unfortunately my wire stretcher is only good up to 1/0

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I could have pulled an extra 20 feet at your disconnect by half hitching with rope, setup and know how is the key.

You pull the wire length that you need to comfortable terminate on lugs, and do whatever it takes to accomplish that. 2 or 3 feet of waste is expected.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
For multiple com pulls, I like to use a #12 stranded wire as the next pull wire. Slick and smooth, slim, won't tangle and strong enough to pull with. Pull another one with next pull and alternate them. Leave one in with the final pull so it's there if ever needed again.

I like doing that too.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
^^Funny guy, quoting himself....

We use the Maxis grip kit most of the time. For parallel runs, I'll typically buy one big master reel and keep cutting sets off of it, versus having a bunch of reels and precut sets to deal with.

We use the crimped heads sometimes also, and also make our own. Really just depends on what we're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.