Warranty on Labor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have a customer who is telling us that corporate wants 10 years on materials AND labor. While there are some mfg that offer a payment for labor on any bad products that need to be changed, we did not spec these into the project. My question is, has anyone ever offered a labor warranty outside of a year and if so, how did you calculate this adder?

The project would include wall packs and area lights so a lift would be required to fix any issues that arise.

Any help is appreciated.

Gary11734

Put this labor and material as a line item on a bid/proposal pass the normal year-long warranty.
Labor is already in the calculation to material since we have to remove said defective material with labor.
I would make it outrages to start and negotiate from there. After one year, how is the client going to get you back on the project without litigation? And I would assume by then you have already been paid for all the work.
Once he sees this outrages line item for the extended warranty, he should defer the whole idea.
It's all smoke and mirrors unless you work with that client all the time.

"We carry a one year warranty on parts and labor. A ten year warranty is not an option."

No way. One year can be painful enough with the wrong customer and a bad run of LEDs.

preaching to the choir. i would even extend the mfg warranty out a few years under normal operating conditions just to make sure we get the work but how they can expect anything outside of 1-year for labor is beyond me.

thank you both

MAC702

I refuse to commit myself to being in town and in business that long. Tell you what, though, if you can find me in ten years, I'll probably know a guy I can refer.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Yeh, no.

One year on labor and material; manufacturers warranty on fixtures. Generally the manufacturers warranty will cover extended warranty labor.

If customer (or GC) buys fixtures, there is no labor warranty provided by us, but I do have a customer that buys their own fixtures and asks us to include 1-yr warranty labor in the job cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
On big projects we offer one year which is standard. They usually hold back the last payment until after the year is up.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On big projects we offer one year which is standard. They usually hold back the last payment until after the year is up.
You must be WELL capitalized :cool:. I think these companies just run things up the flagpole to see if they'll fly. I would never agree to a 10 year parts and labor deal. You may get the job up front if you agree but there's no telling how much you'll lose down the line if you have to start doing replacements due to a defect that is no fault of your own.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

You must be WELL capitalized :cool:.

From what I've been told it's pretty standard on large commercial projects. It usually takes about a year after it's done to close out the job, meaning that all parties are satisfied that you've completed everything in your contract.

Agreeing to 10 years of anything post completion is just absolutely nuts.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
From what I've been told it's pretty standard on large commercial projects.

It is.

It usually takes about a year after it's done to close out the job, meaning that all parties are satisfied that you've completed everything in your contract.

For others reading, that’s about right. There are a lot of inspections to be completed by A&E’s, O&M manual writing & training, change-order reviews, etc...etc.... No one gets in a rush either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary11734

Try and enforce a ten-year warranty. The only way I would do that is if I knew I was the single contractor that could maintain that site.

Once someone else touches my work, before, or after the one year, all warranties voided.

Status
Not open for further replies.