separating text

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I would like to separate the text below at the colon so I end up with ALFAGREEN in one spreadsheet column and the 18052...in another. Someone know the Excel function that will do that. I've Concatenated but not separated.

ALFAGREEN:18052-HAMMERMILL UNDERCURRENT SENSOR

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Is the text in a spreadsheet already?

If it is in a standard word document or text file, you can import it into Excel. During the import setup you can designated the character you want to use as the break between cells. The most common text file layout is often called a Comma Separated Variable or CSV, because it uses a comma to separated the data.

If it is in a spreadsheet, you can 'Convert Text to Table' and designated the : as the separator.

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Is the text in a spreadsheet already?

If it is in a standard word document or text file, you can import it into Excel. During the import setup you can designated the character you want to use as the break between cells. The most common text file layout is often called a Comma Separated Variable or CSV, because it uses a comma to separated the data.

If it is in a spreadsheet, you can 'Convert Text to Table' and designated the : as the separator.

I brought it in as a csv.

Converting all my old paper files to pdf. I thought I could generate a List of customers and assigned job numbers. It worked, somewhat, for some reason the report only goes back three years. The Jobs & names are in the customer file, I haven't figured out how to export all of them to a csv.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I brought it in as a csv.

Converting all my old paper files to pdf. I thought I could generate a List of customers and assigned job numbers. It worked, somewhat, for some reason the report only goes back three years. The Jobs & names are in the customer file, I haven't figured out how to export all of them to a csv.

What format is the customer file in?

When I do this kind of thing, I often end up going back and forth between a spreadsheet and a csv file which is edited in a text editor. I also usually have to import data multiple times as errors or weirdnesses crop up in the original data that need fixing (like a comma in a number...).

Status
Not open for further replies.