Robo-call and autodialer filter - review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For those of you who have a business phone and find it prudent to actually answer all calls, here is some information you might appreciate:

I trying an online, software only product that I believe will effectively filter out robo-calls and autodialed sales calls while letting client calls through unimpeded. My business line does not ring or even register a call when it's operating. (But I can still receive texts.)

It's an auto-attendant (robot who answers the phone). My business line is programmed to forward all calls to a special number they gave me. You can program the robot to say whatever you want. Mine says "Thank you for calling <business name>. To speak with an electrician, press one now."

I've previously discovered that my business greeting which is three sentences and runs five seconds causes almost all robo-callers to hang up without saying anything. They think I'm an answering machine. The above greeting should filter them out.

And everybody knows that once an auto-dialer connects, there is a long pause before a human jumps on to sell you something. I believe they will come on after the above message has played and just hear dead air until my robot hangs up due to no response.

Of course, actual people calling will immediately press 1 and the call will transfer immediately to my personal phone. I know its the system calling and I can change my greeting to match.

Bonus: I have the system programmed to give a different greeting after hours so I'm not woken up in the middle of the night by people trying to pay their electric bill (it's happened) or get emergency service I don't offer.

If it's 90% effective, I'll be happy. I'll let you know how well it works. The system keeps numerous statistics so I'll know how many calls I've received and how many transferred.

Product: Voiceshot.com, $12/mo for 400 minutes. larger plans available.

Last edited:

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I have my own phone system with an auto-attendent and voice mail that I have do exactly the same thing and it costs me nothing per month.:p

-Hal

Cost nothing, since millennial-generation kids --still living at home-- answer phones in exchange for room & board.

kwired

Electron manager
That's cool. Where can I get a free phone system with auto-attendant?
His phone system probably was not free to purchase, but has auto attendant of some sort that doesn't have a monthly fee to keep using, is what I think he was getting at. System automatically answers calls but then needs caller input to direct the call or maybe has a default direction after certain amount of time has passed if no selection is made. This automation alone will make robo callers disconnect the call and move on to next target.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
His phone system probably was not free to purchase, but has auto attendant of some sort that doesn't have a monthly fee to keep using, is what I think he was getting at. System automatically answers calls but then needs caller input to direct the call or maybe has a default direction after certain amount of time has passed if no selection is made. This automation alone will make robo callers disconnect the call and move on to next target.

I guess I should have put a /sarcasm tag on my comment. I was well aware of what you are saying.

Business owners, especially in our business, seem to overlook the actual costs of running their businesses. I was attempting to point out that even though there may not be a monthly charge, the system wasn't free. (Or maybe it was. I'm just guessing.)

kwired

Electron manager
I guess I should have put a /sarcasm tag on my comment. I was well aware of what you are saying.

Business owners, especially in our business, seem to overlook the actual costs of running their businesses. I was attempting to point out that even though there may not be a monthly charge, the system wasn't free. (Or maybe it was. I'm just guessing.)
If the only reason he put the system in was to help handle "robo calls" it may have been kind of expensive, if he had other needs for installing the system, the handling of robo calls is somewhat of a side benefit.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
That's cool. Where can I get a free phone system with auto-attendant?

I was an Avaya dealer at one time. I did pay for my equipment new (Partner ACS) but if you keep your eyes open and know where to look and what to look for there are plenty for the taking when businesses go out and the spaces get re-purposed. Scavengers always take the phones but don't know that the equipment that runs them is in some closet someplace. Like wiring in a ceiling, it's not uncommon to find generations of equipment, sometimes still plugged in and running.

-Hal

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I use an App called "Nomorobo". It has a huge data base of known robo calls and adds to it daily. It will either just identify a robo call so you can hang up/end the call or send it to voicemail. It does cost $19.99 per year but is highly worth it to me. That is the only App that I have ever paid for. I've had it for a year and it works well. I would say 95%-99% effective. It does occasionally incorrectly identify a "good" call as a robo but you can tell it that it is a good number and it will get it right the next time.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If the only reason he put the system in was to help handle "robo calls" it may have been kind of expensive, if he had other needs for installing the system, the handling of robo calls is somewhat of a side benefit.

I had 4 lines here at one time, now I'm down to 2. I have a "home office" and have the system set up for both business and home. Business calls ring on phones in the office and get picked up by the business auto attendant. I have a greeting and menu which prompts callers to dial extension numbers for the employees which ring their extensions or, if they are not there the call will go to their voice mailbox.

On the "house" side, another auto attendant handles the calls on those lines in a similar way but I have a more personal greeting.

Whatever the call though, if the AA picks up the caller has to respond with a legitimate extension number. Most telemarketers won't make it past the greeting and menu. If there is no response from the caller by the time the menu ends the system can be programmed to hang up. I didn't install the system to deal with telemarketers but it is an added benefit.

-Hal

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Progress report

Progress report

So I can see in the statistics where a bunch of robo-calls have been received by the attendent, but none were smart enough to press the "1" button to transfer the call to my cellphone. In other words, my phone has been amazingly quiet.:)

Clients calls are getting through OK. In fact, one frequent client commented the system sounded very professional. :D

The only "failure" was a vendor who got through to try and sell me his product. :rant: He wasn't using an auto-dialer.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
So I can see in the statistics where a bunch of robo-calls have been received by the attendent, but none were smart enough to press the "1" button to transfer the call to my cellphone. In other words, my phone has been amazingly quiet.:)

Clients calls are getting through OK. In fact, one frequent client commented the system sounded very professional. :D

The only "failure" was a vendor who got through to try and sell me his product. :rant: He wasn't using an auto-dialer.
He was probably at least about as honest of a salesman you can expect and not a complete scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.