Home Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
For those of you that do not have a dedicated home office space, what do you do to have a quiet place to work on estimates and bids?

Or maybe you have a home office now but early in your career you had young kids, wife, no office and you had to make do with what you had. What did you do to be able to spread papers out, and focus on detailed estimates?

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My truck makes an excellent office space. Lighting is adjustable. Quiet if I want, music or news otherwise. Always the perfect temperature. I can adjust the view out the window to suit my liking. People will even hand me breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert through the window. Laptop and a tank of gas is all you need.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
My truck makes an excellent office space. Lighting is adjustable. Quiet if I want, music or news otherwise. Always the perfect temperature. I can adjust the view out the window to suit my liking. People will even hand me breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert through the window. Laptop and a tank of gas is all you need.

Lol. You are right. Have you spent considerable time working in your truck??

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Lol. You are right. Have you spent considerable time working in your truck??

Definitely during the work day including breaks. Considered often when I'm home as my home office computer has way too many distractions loaded and it's not very quiet in the house.

jeff48356

For those of you that do not have a dedicated home office space, what do you do to have a quiet place to work on estimates and bids?

Just in my bedroom with my laptop. I spread the papers on my bed and figure stuff out. It usually doesn't take me long because I have a formula that usually works well and comes out with a fair price for most of my bids.

DBoone

Occupation
General Contractor
Just in my bedroom with my laptop. I spread the papers on my bed and figure stuff out. It usually doesn't take me long because I have a formula that usually works well and comes out with a fair price for most of my bids.

I have been doing the same thing...kitchen table, dining room table, bedroom, etc... To me the hardest part has been not being able to leave my papers spread because I have to move them out of the way for bed time, supper time, etc. it can be difficult to keep things organized.

We are in the process of getting a loan to build a house and I will have a small office space there. It won’t be very big but it’s enough for me to have a desk, computer, file cabinets, etc. I can leave papers spread out, leave blue prints spread out. I think that is going to be so nice And help me stay organized and efficient.

jeff48356

I have been doing the same thing...kitchen table, dining room table, bedroom, etc... To me the hardest part has been not being able to leave my papers spread because I have to move them out of the way for bed time, supper time, etc. it can be difficult to keep things organized.

We are in the process of getting a loan to build a house and I will have a small office space there. It won’t be very big but it’s enough for me to have a desk, computer, file cabinets, etc. I can leave papers spread out, leave blue prints spread out. I think that is going to be so nice And help me stay organized and efficient.

Awesome! Just be sure to close the door to your office so your cat doesn't get into it and mess up your papers.

tshea

Home Office in basement. No windows :weeping: but extremely quiet. :happyyes:

Shop office too noisy. Phone rings, guys asking questions, customers or sales people walking in.

Tried doing estimates at the coffee shop, but waitress always bugging-- want more coffee? Everything good?

Status
Not open for further replies.