Riser Tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Someone else is running the #600 riser. We are just running from the tap box to the panel( we are doing the tap). This happens at about 5 floors. I know of the Ilsco “port” type taps but couldn’t the piercing type be used to and eliminate the need to cut wires? Actually not sure the crimping type will work as I'm tapping #600 to #6 and they don't list that size range. Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes insulation piercing taps will work if you can find them in the correct range.

Last edited:

mstrlucky74

My other question. If you used a ported tap block you would have to cut the wire where your making the tap. If using insulation piercing you would not need to cut wire. Wouldn't you want to avoid cutting wire and jut pull wire point to point? Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You either have to cut it or feed it through the tap if the hole is large enough to allow the insulated conductor to pass through.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

mstrlucky74

Would bus detail make sense instead of tap? Someone mentioned there might not be room for the taps connectors. Not sure that makes sense. The box would have to be sized for conduits entering top and bottom and also entering the right side, correct?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Would bus detail make sense instead of tap? Someone mentioned there might not be room for the taps connectors. Not sure that makes sense. The box would have to be sized for conduits entering top and bottom and also entering the right side, correct?

Bus detail for a #6 tap? Probably not. Yes the box needs to be sized for the riser conduits regardless of whether or not you use bus detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.