Display mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Have a bunch of ceiling hung displays that I need to mount. They are about 3'x8' and weight about 500 lbs. What would one use to life something that heavy up to height being mounted? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Have a bunch of ceiling hung displays that I need to mount. They are about 3'x8' and weight about 500 lbs. What would one use to life something that heavy up to height being mounted? Thanks.
Depends on the construction. You might need structural engineering with that much weight.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You could use on of these, good for 1000#'s.

sla-5_cutout-1.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
You could use on of these, good for 1000#'s.

sla-5_cutout-1.jpg
If you otherwise already have scissor lift or fork lift on the site (or on the level working on) I imagine many just use those, but otherwise Infinity's lift is a nice choice if you are going to bring something in for the purpose, and is easier to get to upper floors than a scissor or fork lift. HVAC guys will likely have one if you need to know where to find one.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
If you have a bunch of these to hang, would it be easier to hire a rigging company? They're used to lifting heavy things to strange places...

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
Thanks, what are they called? Wonder how high they go.

I've always heard these called a "genie lift" although I'm sure it's not the real name. We have an older one we use to lift ceiling hung transformers, it works pretty well. I believe ours will lift a 500lb transformer to a height of 14' to the bottom (where the forks are).

I know they are fairly cheap to rent and will fit inside a full size van.

PaulMmn

Occupation
I've always heard these called a "genie lift" although I'm sure it's not the real name. We have an older one we use to lift ceiling hung transformers, it works pretty well. I believe ours will lift a 500lb transformer to a height of 14' to the bottom (where the forks are).

I know they are fairly cheap to rent and will fit inside a full size van.

Genie is one brand, maybe the first (https://www.genielift.com/). They're like Kleenex (R) (Kimberly-Clark). Or Romex (R) (Southwire (originally General Cable)).

tkb

There is no way he didn’t know about the lift.
He is trolling you guys. Why don’t you see it? :happysad:

mstrlucky74

There is no way he didn’t know about the lift.
He is trolling you guys. Why don’t you see it? :happysad:

Your just looking to cause trouble tough guy. Obviously know it’s a lift but usually there’s a trade/slang name people use to refer to them….just as someone mention. Makes sense????

tkb

Your just looking to cause trouble tough guy. Obviously know it’s a lift but usually there’s a trade/slang name people use to refer to them….just as someone mention. Makes sense????

No trouble. I just call it as I see it.

mstrlucky74

No trouble. I just call it as I see it.

People on here have expressed their opinion on some of my posts and I can see where they're coming from most times. I think most would disagree on internet troll and it's just factually not true. Have a nice night :p

cdslotz

If you have a bunch of these to hang, would it be easier to hire a rigging company? They're used to lifting heavy things to strange places...

I would absolutely do this ^^^
I would not want any liability for damaging property or personnel.

I must ask....how is something like this even in your scope of work? Are you the primary contractor?
"Displays" sounds like they are signs to me.
I would hire a rigger or sign contractor...period

kwired

Electron manager

I must ask....how is something like this even in your scope of work? Are you the primary contractor?
Where do you draw the line on hiring a "rigger"?

Setting light poles is EC or rigger job?

Running 4" RMC at a 30 foot ceiling - EC or rigger job?

Hanging large luminaire - EC or rigger job?

Setting a large switchboard or MCC in place?

EC may choose to use rigger but I don't think those tasks and many others are outside what might be expected from an EC either.

PaulMmn

Occupation
Where do you draw the line on hiring a "rigger"? ... EC may choose to use rigger but I don't think those tasks and many others are outside what might be expected from an EC either.

Setting light poles is EC or rigger job? << If the EC has the bucket/crane truck to set the poles, go for it. Who pours the foundation and sets the anchor bolts?

Running 4" RMC at a 30 foot ceiling - EC or rigger job? << EC-- with a pair of scissor lifts, one at each end of the pipe.

Hanging large luminaire - EC or rigger job? << EC-- with a scissor lift; probably 2 guys up there.

Setting a large switchboard or MCC in place? << EC-- but who drives the fork lift? Don't you have to be 'licensed' to drive one in most plants?

Company I worked for had a fireproof safe/vault to be installed, and later, moved. It's about 6' wide, 7' tall, and 4' deep. Weighs the proverbial ton. It was definitely a 'rigger' job!

When the OP mentioned several 500# displays, I imagined they were electronic display panels, like one of those signboard complexes dangling overhead at the airport-- 3 or 4 screens around a central mount. As someone asked-- how strong is the ceiling?

I think the decision has to be based on the EC doing the job-- what are their skills, equipment, training, etc. Not every EC has the right mix to do every job.

mstrlucky74

Our union claims the work since there is power/data( we are doing the power and data) being brought to the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.