Display mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Setting light poles is EC or rigger job? << If the EC has the bucket/crane truck to set the poles, go for it. Who pours the foundation and sets the anchor bolts? EC can't get mad at anyone else if he did the base and bolts aren't set in correct pattern;)

Running 4" RMC at a 30 foot ceiling - EC or rigger job? << EC-- with a pair of scissor lifts, one at each end of the pipe.

Hanging large luminaire - EC or rigger job? << EC-- with a scissor lift; probably 2 guys up there.

Setting a large switchboard or MCC in place? << EC-- but who drives the fork lift? Don't you have to be 'licensed' to drive one in most plants?In the operating portion of existing plant, usually, New plant under construction or a new addition with primarily only the construction crews in there maybe not.

Company I worked for had a fireproof safe/vault to be installed, and later, moved. It's about 6' wide, 7' tall, and 4' deep. Weighs the proverbial ton. It was definitely a 'rigger' job! Was remodeling a bank maybe 25 or so years ago. New vault was built, I was there the day the vault door showed up. I don't recall what it weighed, but they rounded up a fairly large forklift from nearby lumber yard to unload it from the truck. The installers had equipment to handle it once it was off the truck. They tried to lift it and back wheels of fork lift come off the ground. They asked me and a couple other guys working there (from GC's crew) to help. We sat on back end of fork lift to help counter balance it. Might not have been good with OSHA had something gone wrong:blink: All we needed to do was get it off truck, the installers were able to take it from there. This lift should have been able to lift well over a proverbial ton.

When the OP mentioned several 500# displays, I imagined they were electronic display panels, like one of those signboard complexes dangling overhead at the airport-- 3 or 4 screens around a central mount. As someone asked-- how strong is the ceiling? Hopefully someone else designed for it, OP is primarily an estimator.

I think the decision has to be based on the EC doing the job-- what are their skills, equipment, training, etc. Not every EC has the right mix to do every job.
I can agree with that. Don't know if OP's company is selling and responsible for installing these items or not. If a sign company is involved you would think they would hang them, OP's company may run some wiring to them, then sign company likely installs/confirms software side of it is working also.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Our union claims the work since there is power/data( we are doing the power and data) being brought to the unit.

I'm sure that your company has competent journeymen who can hang these units, if not call the hall. Work=money so why give any of it away.

kwired

Electron manager
Our union claims the work since there is power/data( we are doing the power and data) being brought to the unit.
Did your company sell these items? Is your company responsible for replacement/repair if you damage them while handling them?

Not saying you shouldn't hang them, just that it may not be worth it to hang them in some conditions. If you made a markup from selling them, that helps offset some the cost risks should you damage them. If you raised your bid price to cover cost of hanging them, may come out ok as well. If you just said we will do this (for whatever reason) but didn't factor in any additional costs to add to the bid/job price and something happens, may not break the bank, but can still lower profits. You need to know what those numbers are an how much they might hurt.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Did your company sell these items? Is your company responsible for replacement/repair if you damage them while handling them?

Not saying you shouldn't hang them, just that it may not be worth it to hang them in some conditions. If you made a markup from selling them, that helps offset some the cost risks should you damage them. If you raised your bid price to cover cost of hanging them, may come out ok as well. If you just said we will do this (for whatever reason) but didn't factor in any additional costs to add to the bid/job price and something happens, may not break the bank, but can still lower profits. You need to know what those numbers are an how much they might hurt.

If we didn't sell the unit and are just hitting power/data, why would you want to fight the company providing the units? HVAC provides and sets the units we hit them with power, control could be by others, what does your bid say?

mstrlucky74

Furnished by others installed by us. We figured for the install.

cdslotz

What do you mean?

How much labor do you have to hang these?
How much did you include for lifts/rigging?
How much did you include for supports for 550 lb units (welding, strut,etc) and were there structural details for this on the drawings?

very easy question.....

kwired

Electron manager
How was this work estimated?

Furnished by others installed by us. We figured for the install.

How much labor do you have to hang these?
How much did you include for lifts/rigging?
How much did you include for supports for 550 lb units (welding, strut,etc) and were there structural details for this on the drawings?

very easy question.....
I think they had it included in bid/other agreements. If they didn't factor in enough cost, then they lose on some profits.

kwired

Electron manager
Still no answer on how it was estimated....?
What kind of answer were you looking for? Just whether there were considerations taken and some amount was added to the bid/other agreement or did you want complete profit/loss details as they relate to this particular task?

mstrlucky74

Still no answer on how it was estimated....?

We figured we though it would be about (2) guys a 4 hours each to install the strut and display. We looked at all the structural details and arch drawings. Got the weights and dims and came up with our hours.

cdslotz

We figured we though it would be about (2) guys a 4 hours each to install the strut and display. We looked at all the structural details and arch drawings. Got the weights and dims and came up with our hours.

thank you....and that's the way I would have done it.

Once I get the job...I would take those labor/material dollars and compare it to a rigger's quote. Anytime I can put the liability on someone else, I will

kwired

Electron manager
thank you....and that's the way I would have done it.

Once I get the job...I would take those labor/material dollars and compare it to a rigger's quote. Anytime I can put the liability on someone else, I will
Now you sound like you are a general contractor:D

Status
Not open for further replies.