Remote desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Where are the 2 computers in relation to each other? Same building, on the same local network? Across the state; your RDP session uses The Internet to make the connection??

What are the screen resolutions of the 2 computers? Do you have more than 1 monitor at one or both systems?

Do you have an 'active' screen saver or backdrop screen on your main computer? Lots of sounds? Usually, RDP does not bring the sound and background screens through to the computer running the RDP session-- that's one less thing to process.

Do you enlarge the window you're working in to take the full screen? If the computer doesn't have to keep refreshing the other windows, it can dedicate more effort to what you're working on.

Is everyone else at home when you notice the speed increase? Have you noticed the speed is not faster at all times of the day, say, for example, mid-morning when everyone's pounding away at their machines to get work done?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Where are the 2 computers in relation to each other? Same building, on the same local network? Across the state; your RDP session uses The Internet to make the connection? 10ft distance , 50' via cat 5 & office network switch.

What are the screen resolutions of the 2 computers? Recommended defaults. Do you have more than 1 monitor at one or both systems? One monitor hers, two @ mine.

Do you have an 'active' screen saver or backdrop screen on your main computer? Lots of sounds? Usually, RDP does not bring the sound and background screens through to the computer running the RDP session-- that's one less thing to process? When I log on, all that stuff on hers is off. I could have several spreadsheets, PLC & HMI programing along with email and MHs formum all running on mine.

Do you enlarge the window you're working in to take the full screen? It is full screen on the 2nd monitor If the computer doesn't have to keep refreshing the other windows, it can dedicate more effort to what you're working on.

Is everyone else at home when you notice the speed increase? Have you noticed the speed is not faster at all times of the day, say, for example, mid-morning when everyone's pounding away at their machines to get work done? N/A

Not simple. Both computers are more than adequate in size and performance. Hers more storage and more memory. Processor speeds close enough.

kwired

Electron manager
Differences in display adapters and/or associated settings.

Other running applications on the host machine are affecting response to the display but not so much to the remote communications you are using?

Obviously there must be sufficient processor, memory, etc. just something else you are not using when accessing remotely is either slower in general or bogged down.

PaulMmn

Occupation
Not simple. Both computers are more than adequate in size and performance. Hers more storage and more memory. Processor speeds close enough.

I was going to say that more storage / more memory could be the key-- I know when I upgraded an old PC just by maxing out the memory, the performance jumped!

But RDP is just a window through to your PC-- your PC is still doing all the work. The only advantage the PC you're working on gives you is 'more than enough' memory-- you're not using storage on her PC. But memory is just improving the connection between the PCs!

Hard for me to tell what the reason is. :dunce:

kwired

Electron manager
I was going to say that more storage / more memory could be the key-- I know when I upgraded an old PC just by maxing out the memory, the performance jumped!

But RDP is just a window through to your PC-- your PC is still doing all the work. The only advantage the PC you're working on gives you is 'more than enough' memory-- you're not using storage on her PC. But memory is just improving the connection between the PCs!

Hard for me to tell what the reason is. :dunce:
Not so sure about that, and at very least would depend on application and how it works. Desktop type applications AFAIK run on the machine they are installed on, you just are using different pathways than the local keyboard, mouse, display, etc. to be able to see and manipulate it.

For a desktop application to run on your remote machine you would need that application installed on your machine, but you could use "remote desktop" to run anything on the machine you are accessing, it is just an extension of user interface components for the most part.

Occupation
EC - retired
Not so sure about that, and at very least would depend on application and how it works. Desktop type applications AFAIK run on the machine they are installed on, you just are using different pathways than the local keyboard, mouse, display, etc. to be able to see and manipulate it.

For a desktop application to run on your remote machine you would need that application installed on your machine, but you could use "remote desktop" to run anything on the machine you are accessing, it is just an extension of user interface components for the most part.
That is the deal. Running the software that is on her computer appears to run faster when I remote in from my desktop. I’ll have to try a couple reports and time them. ‘Appears’ is subjective

PaulMmn

Occupation
That is the deal. Running the software that is on her computer appears to run faster when I remote in from my desktop. I’ll have to try a couple reports and time them. ‘Appears’ is subjective

Are you running the software on 'her' PC, or in the RDP window, which runs the software on your PC??

If you're running the software on her PC, and just accessing the document on your PC, that explains it! Her PC, with more memory, will be able to keep more of the program and your data in memory and not have to waste time paging stuff onto and off of disk.

I'm not familiar with QB software, but if it uses temporary storage on any convenient disk drive, the fact that she has more storage means you won't be cramped for space, since it will probably be using her disk drive.

PaulMmn

Occupation
I think I understand what you're doing now...

The Main Office Computer is on HER desk, and you're using a computer on YOUR desk and using RDP to access her computer and run QB on her computer.

And the system seems faster when you use RDP, than when you sit at her desk and run the program there.

Do I have it correct now?? :dunce::dunce::dunce:

oldsparky52

The Main Office Computer is on HER desk, and you're using a computer on YOUR desk and using RDP to access her computer and run QB on her computer.

And the system seems faster when you use RDP, than when you sit at her desk and run the program there.

I think that's what he was saying.

Occupation
EC - retired

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
But AFAIK when using remote desktop, all you are doing is extending user interface to another computer's resources. The running apps are still running on the host machine. With RD, you can go in start something, disconnect or even lose connection and it will continue to do anything you may have started. If you try to move the on screen pointer one way and a person at that computer tries to move it the other way at same time, it is difficult for either one to accomplish what they are trying to do. No different than having two mouse devices connected and trying to move them different ways at same time.

kwired

Electron manager
Could that ^ have something to do with it?
It can. What else is running on that computer at same time can have an impact.

If Windows 10 is trying to configure or install a major update, it can slow everything down considerably. Enough to make you think something is wrong, especially if you have somewhat marginal memory, processor, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.