Finishing someone else's work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing someone else's work

Had a home owner call me to finish a project that another Electrician didn't finish....for one reason or another....it's a kitchen remodel....

How would you bid it? I can't see me doing it for anything but time and material because I don't know what loose ends there are.

I'm new to the estimating side of things
    .....Still just happy to be here.....

Originally posted by shputnik View Post
    Had a home owner call me to finish a project that another Electrician didn't finish....for one reason or another....it's a kitchen remodel....

How would you bid it? I can't see me doing it for anything but time and material because I don't know what loose ends there are.

I'm new to the estimating side of things
    Not only loose ends, but potentially hidden flaws inside walls. A lot of folks are not comfortable taking over with the walls closed unless they know the original contractor's work.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldDigger View Post
      Not only loose ends, but potentially hidden flaws inside walls. A lot of folks are not comfortable taking over with the walls closed unless they know the original contractor's work.
      I have two million dollar liability.... would that cover me just for what I'm doing...am I accepting liability on the other contractors work....

It's an Crouse Hinds panel. I plan on afci protection.....Does Crouse hinds list Murray breakers?

Comment

How many jobs have you ever walked away from in the middle ? If you do there will probably be a good reason.

Did they get an inspection on the job? Who holds the permit?

There may not even have been another electrician the homeowner may have gotten in over his/her head.
        The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
          How many jobs have you ever walked away from in the middle ? If you do there will probably be a good reason.

Did they get an inspection on the job? Who holds the permit?

There may not even have been another electrician the homeowner may have gotten in over his/her head.
          Those are my thoughts... I'm turning to my peers here because I appreciate your opinions

Comment

Keep in mind the 1st guy may have left due to not being paid
            At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by augie47 View Post
              That was my 1st thought.

Comment

It's an Crouse Hinds panel. I plan on afci protection.....Does Crouse hinds list Murray breakers?
                I believe you'll find that BR is the line you want. Check the panel label if it's still there.
                Master Electrician
                Electrical Contractor
                Richmond, VA

Comment

Look into the permit history and verify there aren't any liens on the property before you price the job. It can help you get an idea if the electrician was failing inspections or if the GC/customer was delaying the job for one reason or another.

Also, find out why the homeowner is hiring you instead of the GC. Talk to the GC as well if possible.

Finishing someone else's work is risky, as others have said. Pricing the job requires paying your crew to inspect the work completed to date for quality and code compliance before you can estimate your costs.

Unless you are looking to build a relationship with a repeat customer, price the job very high and hope you don't get it.

Comment

I've had jobs in limbo over the years

there's always a reason, the more one has to dig for that reason, the more one should distance his/herself from the job

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by augie47 View Post
                      99.9% chance that is the case.
                      Find out who the EC was and call him

Comment

Originally posted by cdslotz View Post
                        99.9% chance that is the case.
                        Find out who the EC was and call him
                        The general contractor is the home owner.... actually has a license as a contractor

I'm not familiar with how liability insurance works....I'm going to call my insurance provider later

Things happen....it's the price of running a business....i just want to make sure I'm covered by liability.

Comment

I looked at a job recently that I was to do the control work on. The EC on the job was only doing the building etc. When I called in about permitting my portion, the area inspector asked “What building?” Not a good question at that stage. I didn’t get the project due to the number of zeros in my guesstimate, but most likely I got the blame for the stop work order.

CYA.
                          Tom
                          TBLO

Comment

You sound like you are hungry, don't let the need for work cloud your judgement. I would rather lose money on bidding and not getting jobs than winning and getting hosed, tread lightly, do your homework. GC personal work will be a pita.

Comment

Does Crouse hinds list Murray breakers?
                              Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                              I believe you'll find that BR is the line you want. Check the panel label if it's still there.

Crouse-Hinds was Murray, and Murray is the successor company, since Siemens bought the Crouse-Hinds distribution line from Cooper, and restored the original name, the breaker catalog numbers should be the same. Crouse-Hinds did list ITE, EQ-P, and EQ-T, Bryant BR, as acceptable in a lot of loadcenters, Murray is the OEM replacement though.

Comment

Working...
                              X