No announcement yet.

Out of Town/Out of State Contractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had an EC friend of mine in the 90's that did Wal Marts all over Texas and other states.
    He knew the exact cost, down to every nut/bolt/screw, for every floorplan that WalMart built.
    I was estimating at another EC, so I've done those takeoffs on Wal Marts, and they are very complicated with controls, refrigeration wiring, prefered vendors, etc.
    I bid a couple and got whipped by my friend, but he would make a very good profit on his jobs.
    If I remember, there were GC's that specialized in Wal Marts too, and the GC's still had to get competitive bids from locals.
    My friend would win every time....I'm pretty sure that if the competition was low or high, my friend probably got last look. The GC's already had my friend's number plugged in anyway.
    These jobs, as with all retail, are fast track. The GC's didn't have that to worry about with an EC like my friend....

Comment

Originally posted by cdslotz View Post
      I had an EC friend of mine in the 90's that did Wal Marts all over Texas and other states.
      He knew the exact cost, down to every nut/bolt/screw, for every floorplan that WalMart built.
      I was estimating at another EC, so I've done those takeoffs on Wal Marts, and they are very complicated with controls, refrigeration wiring, prefered vendors, etc.
      I bid a couple and got whipped by my friend, but he would make a very good profit on his jobs.
      If I remember, there were GC's that specialized in Wal Marts too, and the GC's still had to get competitive bids from locals.
      My friend would win every time....I'm pretty sure that if the competition was low or high, my friend probably got last look. The GC's already had my friend's number plugged in anyway.
      These jobs, as with all retail, are fast track. The GC's didn't have that to worry about with an EC like my friend....
      Pretty much the same here, the was a small handful of EC's that did all the big box retail in New England back when it was sprouting up in the late 90's, early 00's. Like your friend, they knew their costs and had it down to a science. There was no way anyone could touch them.

Comment

Around here it would be because the guys doing the work can't afford the rent in the places the work is. But that doesn't explain, say, Simi Valley to Riverside. Seems like people would rather jump in the truck all day than try to build connections where they live. I blame the internet and the lack of a carbon tax.

Comment

No speaker engrish!

Comment

Originally posted by sameguy View Post
            No speaker engrish!
            You riar!
            Master Electrician
            Electrical Contractor
            Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by cdslotz View Post
              We wired the 1st Walmart in Vermont

It was political/protested

The only reason we were hired was because they needed local licensure.....the prints said 'retail store'

Even the builders of it had no clue

Point? These folks know how to work a crowd , if one wants a textbook capitalist machine look no further

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post
                We wired the 1st Walmart in Vermont...

.....the prints said 'retail store'
                How many retail stores over 100,000 sq. ft. do you get?

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                  How many retail stores over 100,000 sq. ft. do you get?
                  very few here Mac

in this case they (W-mart) purchased an abandonded dept store , and hired locals for the sake of anonymity

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
                    They hire local illegals or cheap labor.

-Hal
                    I can see that with rank & file labor but they still have to send foremen & project managers don’t they?

Something doesn’t add up.
                    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsparky52 View Post
                      At one time in my life I ran the construction department for a pump and tank operation. We found that we made more money on out of town jobs than we did on in town jobs. What we finally understood is that when men are out of town, they want to finish and get home. They get to the job earlier, leave later, work harder.

While in town, they need to get off on time to get home, arrive at the job later, and expand the time to complete the job to the perceived time to complete it.

I don't know if this answers the OP's question, but I found it interesting when we discovered it.
                      I see the logic there but you still have motel & meal costs. Are they drinking rocket fuel on the jobs?
                      Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jmellc View Post
                        I can see that with rank & file labor but they still have to send foremen & project managers don’t they?

Something doesn’t add up.
                        One super or foreman and the PM visits as needed. The super can even be hired locally.

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by jmellc View Post
                          I see the logic there but you still have motel & meal costs. Are they drinking rocket fuel on the jobs?
                          Yes, motel and meals add up, but the job supported it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsparky52 View Post
                            Yes, motel and meals add up, but the job supported it.
                            One major project here saw over a years worth of out of state labor put up in local motels.

The reason that is cheaper than local labor (and we are cheap in VT) is because these are H1B visa holders

~RJ~

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post
                              One major project here saw over a years worth of out of state labor put up in local motels.

The reason that is cheaper than local labor (and we are cheap in VT) is because these are H1B visa holders

~RJ~
                              Well one of the differences for us is that people that know how we did pump and tank work were not readily available. It's not like the building trades, lots of people around that know how to do it. We had to be certified on everything we touched. Takes some time and money.

Comment

Which is why i'm big on certs, permits, inspections old spark

case in point all the solar fields here are mostly constructed by national companies, nothing required.

no bona fide local spark can compete....

and the local IAEI chapter wonders why we loose licenses faster than we create them

~RJ~

Comment

Working...
                                X