3/4" Conduit Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Curious, asked for ¾” emt unit price. One for if it’s concealed( will have hung ceiling) and one of it’s installed on exposed slab ceiling. Wouldn’t the install time be about the same? I guess concealed you can use KX clip and attached to rod and exposed you would use once hole strap to ceiling.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One real difference is how it's supported. K-12 clips versus fastening to a wall. Also above the ceiling may require working at a heights that requires tall ladders or even lifts.

mstrlucky74

One real difference is how it's supported. K-12 clips versus fastening to a wall. Also above the ceiling may require working at a heights that requires tall ladders or even lifts.

Yes but if we are strictly talking ceiling install then I would think concealed would be quicker using kx than exposed and having to install 1 hole strap and concrete screws. No?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
In either case don't you need physical contact with the ceiling to either hang the conduit or anchor the downrods the clips are going to fasten to? You can't use the existing ceiling support wires.

mstrlucky74

In either case don't you need physical contact with the ceiling to either hang the conduit or anchor the downrods the clips are going to fasten to? You can't use the existing ceiling support wires.

We are allowed to use the pencil rod as support.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes there are no support wires involved here. K-12 clips on the pencil rod would be faster than drilling in anchors.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One reason the concealed would be more expensive is if the ceiling grid is already in place. Then you are working around the grid which will slow you down.

Where are these rods coming from? Are you saying they are already installed? If not, install time needs to be factored in.

Pencil rod is 1/4". Isn't that overkill for supporting a single 3/4" conduit? I've supported conduit on ceiling wire which is much thinner. (My own, not the grid wires).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In Mrlucky's locale the pencil rod is there to support the hung ceiling and is installed by a lather. It's also used to support conduit, junction boxes, etc.

mstrlucky74

Yes there are no support wires involved here. K-12 clips on the pencil rod would be faster than drilling in anchors.

So I was going to ask at what point in the hung ceiling installation can you start running your conduit and attaching to the pencil rod? Is it pretty open or is there black iron or other ceiling framing material in your way?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So I was going to ask at what point in the hung ceiling installation can you start running your conduit and attaching to the pencil rod? Is it pretty open or is there black iron or other ceiling framing material in your way?

You run your conduit before the grid goes up but after the black iron and pencil rod is installed. Typically the iron doesn't go up until after all of the duct work is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.