Electrical permit already pulled on job

Status
Not open for further replies.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
An electrician is quote unquote giving the customer a hard time. There already is a permit pulled on the job....the customer asked if I could complete the tasks and pull a permit....(many red flags)

My question is....is it even possible to pull an electrical permit on a job that has another permit already pulled by a different Electrical contractor?

growler

My question is....is it even possible to pull an electrical permit on a job that has another permit already pulled by a different Electrical contractor?

Sure but it may not be as easy as it sounds. Every jurisdiction is different. They may want the first contractor to sign a form saying that he is pulling his permit from the job.

The best thing to do is call the permit office and see how they handle things locally.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
Most of the work I do doesn't require pulling a permit...

I work full time as an employer and work mostly on the weekends for myself

Is it unheard of to ask the Inspector to look at a job during the week when I'm not there? Or do they need someone there to talk about it?

Most of the work I do doesn't require pulling a permit...

I work full time as an employer and work mostly on the weekends for myself

Is it unheard of to ask the Inspector to look at a job during the week when I'm not there? Or do they need someone there to talk about it?
These are all local issues and can carry widely from place to place. Some advice for the future, put the location in the title next time, i.e. "some city Rhode island permit question" so people familiar with that jurisdiction might see it and you can get meaningful advice.

mivey

Of course you can pull a permit but you have to think about how the inspector is going to inspect what you did vs. what the other guy did. If you assume responsibility for your and prior work that makes it easy to inspect but risky/costly for you but probably the easiest way to get a COO.

A clearly defined/limited scope of work could address the inspection of your work only but won't necessarily get the customer a COO if the prior work has problems. This may require a two-part inspection which the AHJ may not like or allow.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Without knowing local rules, it sounds like the first permit needs to be closed, including inspection if possible, to differentiate your responsibility and your work from theirs.

mivey

Without knowing local rules, it sounds like the first permit needs to be closed, including inspection if possible, to differentiate your responsibility and your work from theirs.
and that might be a good way to determine the new scope of work as it could include correcting items noted in the inspection.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
An electrician is quote unquote giving the customer a hard time. There already is a permit pulled on the job....the customer asked if I could complete the tasks and pull a permit....(many red flags)

Speaking as an old prima donna 'my way or highway' spark, it's proper procedure to inform one's ahj of being fired

yes i get fired more as i age

no, i could care less

yes i notify my ahj ....usually responds with a big 'again?' sigh....

no, i've no regrets:thumbsup:

~RJ~

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Of course you can pull a permit but you have to think about how the inspector is going to inspect what you did vs. what the other guy did. If you assume responsibility for your and prior work that makes it easy to inspect but risky/costly for you but probably the easiest way to get a COO.

A clearly defined/limited scope of work could address the inspection of your work only but won't necessarily get the customer a COO if the prior work has problems. This may require a two-part inspection which the AHJ may not like or allow.
My thoughts exactly. Just to add to this, you have to ask :
  • Why isn't the other EC doing the job ?
  • Did he do shoddy work ?
  • Did he show up when he was supposed to ?
  • Did he complete his work ?
  • Are there any PAYMENT issues ? (There are a lot of EC's out there that are very busy but not getting paid)

As others have mentioned, every jurisdiction is different. As an example, what's done here in NJ is called a "change of contractor". Basically you fill out a new permit form, seal it and the bldg. dept. closes out the old. ALL the liability is now on you. I would inspect the job before making this commitment IMHO.:happyyes:

kwired

Electron manager
These are all local issues and can carry widely from place to place. Some advice for the future, put the location in the title next time, i.e. "some city Rhode island permit question" so people familiar with that jurisdiction might see it and you can get meaningful advice.

Exactly.

Some places the EC doesn't even pull any kind of permit.

Some places the EC pulls permits for the electrical portion of the project.

Sometimes if EC is changed or even if there are multiple EC's doing different portions of the project - they each need their own permit for their portion of the project.

Here if I took over a project because owner fired the previous EC, I still need to file my own permit. Possibly can file for less portion of the project depending on where things are at when this change happened, but basically I must file a permit if I do any work that requires permits. The other guy's permit is his, and closing that out is between him and the AHJ. As long as someone else finishes the project and files their own permit it usually isn't a problem closing it out though.

Whoever is last one when EC's get changed is who ultimately needs to pass the final inspection.

cdslotz

I would call the "other" electrician and see what the deal is.
99% of the time, the owner has stiffed him and wants you to be his new chump.

walk away...

Status
Not open for further replies.