What am I responsible for renovations

Status
Not open for further replies.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
I'm new to pulling permits.

I am bidding a remodel in Massachusetts.. I'll be doing work in the bedrooms, kitchen and living room....

Do I need to bring the bathroom up to code....there is no dedicated 20 amp circuit....also no hard-wired smoke detectors...

I was told not to bother the Inspector with questions like that....but I sure as hell don't want surprises

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here in VA, an entire structure must be brought to current codes only if the remodeling exceeds 50% of the floor area of the structure. Otherwise, only the new work is inspected.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I am bidding a remodel in Massachusetts.. I'll be doing work in the bedrooms, kitchen and living room....

Do I need to bring the bathroom up to code....there is no dedicated 20 amp circuit....also no hard-wired smoke detectors...

I'm not required to bring the building up to current code regardless of how much work I do there. Only the work I did is inspected. There are a couple of minor exceptions: if I do a panel change to a higher amperage, I have to replace 3-wire dryer and range circuits with 4-wire; and occasionally an inspector will require me to upgrade the grounding electrodes. They do technically have to right to look at anything and complain about it, but rarely do.

I was told not to bother the Inspector with questions like that

I don't know what your jurisdiction is like. In mine (plural, I have 19 jurisdictions I deal with) I can call the inspector and ask any question I want and frequently do.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
if I do a panel change to a higher amperage, I have to replace 3-wire dryer and range circuits with 4-wire;
We only have to do that in instances that involve neutral/ground separation.

and occasionally an inspector will require me to upgrade the grounding electrodes.
That we always have to do to suit required GEC sizing with service upgrades.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Why, who said not to call?
If you don't ask how will you know?
Make the call, introduce yourself.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
I was told not to bother the Inspector with questions like that....but I sure as hell don't want surprises

Trust me , they're used to us calling .....i opened the panel and.....
giphy.gif

:lol:~RJ~

tkb

Simply follow rule 3 of the MA amendments.
When a hazard exists, then rule 4 comes into play.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor

‘Typically any modification to a bedroom and you have to put in hardwired smoke/ carbon in the whole house. That is dependent on the building department or fire prevention though, I’d start with fire prevention on it.
Bathroom is non issue since your not doing any work in there.
What town?

Status
Not open for further replies.