This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighting Circuiting

Curious for line voltage lighting and single pole switching how many of you bring the circuits to the light switch and not to a box in the ceiling. I understand if you bring circuit to light switch you don't need to bring neutral up to lights. What would be the advantage/disadvantage on either scenario? Say this was an office space with about 15 diff rooms/areas and each room has switching. Thanks.

I would run the power in and out of each switch box, unless you need unswitched power at the lights.
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Comment

What is the wiring method, MC, EMT?
      Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
        What is the wiring method, MC, EMT?

MC? Why would it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
          MC? Why would it matter?
          With MC you need a neutral at the switch location with EMT you do not.
          Rob

Comment

With MC you need a neutral at the switch location with EMT you do not.
            So by bringing power to the light and not the switch you would not be bringing a neutral to the box. You would have a 12/2 from the light box to the switch but the white wire would be re-identified....so you would only have a hot and switch leg. Is that right? Thanks.

Comment

So by bringing power to the light and not the switch you would not be bringing a neutral to the box. You would have a 12/2 from the light box to the switch but the white wire would be re-identified....so you would only have a hot and switch leg. Is that right? Thanks.
              Yes, so you would need to run a 3-wire cable to the switch. If you bring the power to the switch (H-N) then the neutral is already there so going from the switch to the light would be a 2-wire cable.
              Rob

Comment

I always run power to the switch first. I hate switch loops with a passion, never use them, and was so glad that the NEC changed the code which discouraged their use by requiring a neutral wire at the switch box. They used a lot of them in the 50's thru 70's (in some areas), and it usually makes the work a lot more complicated when doing lighting upgrades. But gladly, most homes in my area are wired the proper way (with power going to switch box first and only cables feeding lights in the fixture boxes).

That being said, the only time I might use them is either in a basement when wiring switches to control existing pull-chain lights (in lieu of the chain), or likewise for bedroom closet lights using pull-chain lampholders. I would upgrade it to an LED fixture, then run a wire down the wall to a switch to control it.

Comment

Yes, so you would need to run a 3-wire cable to the switch. If you bring the power to the switch (H-N) then the neutral is already there so going from the switch to the light would be a 2-wire cable.
                  Yup got it. So in your type of work mostly bring power to switch for MC lighting?

BTW what's the reasoning NEC wants neutral in box for MC? Future changes?

Comment

occupancy/energy controls
                    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

You must be: a. bored b. lonely c. trolling
                      You asked the same question at least once if not more.....
                      https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthre...light=lighting

wonder why some folks ignore your posts ???
                      At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

He is saying that, with a cable wiring method, you need a neutral at the switch for future use; with EMT, a neutral can be installed in the future if/when needed.
                        Master Electrician
                        Electrical Contractor
                        Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by augie47 View Post
                          You must be: a. bored b. lonely c. trolling
                          You asked the same question at least once if not more.....
                          https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthre...light=lighting

wonder why some folks ignore your posts ???
                          Kisses

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                            He is saying that, with a cable wiring method, you need a neutral at the switch for future use; with EMT, a neutral can be installed in the future if/when needed.
                            Yes understood..thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Closed
                              Discussed previously

Comment

Working...
                              X