MCB TO MLO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
    Once I finished a job that someone else started. They had ordered the 4 250 amp panelboards with main breakers. They were subs and not fed by taps or tranny's so there was no need for the mains. I took them out, added lugs, and used the breakers in the main distribution board which hadn't been ordered yet. Saved the client $1500 I think. But if you don't have specific repurpose for the breaker, it's probably not worth taking out.
    Apparently your main distribution board was able to accept those breakers, not always the case. Even if the same breakers you may possibly still need some additional hardware to install them such as bus links and fasteners that were designed/tested for the application vs common fasteners.

Not that you can't get such hardware, but these manufacturers seem to like to honk you hard on such items if a stand alone purchase, yet practically give a lot of stuff away in comparison when you order the entire panel and accessories on one order.

Need 1/2 dozen I-line breakers, maybe even as little as 3 or 4? Might get a small main lug panel plus your 3-6 breakers for less cost than if you purchased just the 3-6 breakers. That is how they like to sell this kind of product.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
      Apparently your main distribution board was able to accept those breakers, not always the case. Even if the same breakers you may possibly still need some additional hardware to install them such as bus links and fasteners that were designed/tested for the application vs common fasteners.

Not that you can't get such hardware, but these manufacturers seem to like to honk you hard on such items if a stand alone purchase, yet practically give a lot of stuff away in comparison when you order the entire panel and accessories on one order.

Need 1/2 dozen I-line breakers, maybe even as little as 3 or 4? Might get a small main lug panel plus your 3-6 breakers for less cost than if you purchased just the 3-6 breakers. That is how they like to sell this kind of product.
      Yup. In this case I just ordered the MDP with 2 breakers and 4 "prepared spaces" for the ones I took out, so it came with all the correct bussing and fingers. I got hit a few hundred for the main lugs kits but it was still well worth it. The breakers had plenty of AIC, which could often be a deal breaker in such a situation.
      Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Many gear manufacturers will sell you complete new panel, cabinet, breakers and needed accessories for less $$ than they would sell you just a few of the components alone. Keep that in mind when deciding what to do.
        I found this out recently when reviewing shop drawings for a job. I had called for replacing a bunch of circuit breakers in an NF panel. The shops showed a whole new panel. Naturally, I was a bit concerned that something was going on that I knew nothing about, but the contractor told me buying a whole new panel, new breakers and all, was significantly less than just buying the breakers.

Comment

Originally posted by bcorps View Post
          I found this out recently when reviewing shop drawings for a job. I had called for replacing a bunch of circuit breakers in an NF panel. The shops showed a whole new panel. Naturally, I was a bit concerned that something was going on that I knew nothing about, but the contractor told me buying a whole new panel, new breakers and all, was significantly less than just buying the breakers.

This can be true... not sure why
          They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
          She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
          I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by bcorps View Post
            I can also buy pump panels for less than I can buy the NEMA starter they house.

And yes for the NF breakers, to get best deal just purchase a main lug panel and the breakers you need, then throw the panel and cabinet on the scrap pile. will cost less than if you just purchased the breakers you needed. Always throw a few extra breakers on an order as well for any commonly needed replacements or expected future additions to have on hand.

Comment

And yes for the NF breakers, to get best deal just purchase a main lug panel and the breakers you need, then throw the panel and cabinet on the scrap pile. will cost less than if you just purchased the breakers you needed. Always throw a few extra breakers on an order as well for any commonly needed replacements or expected future additions to have on hand.
              This is pretty common. It costs money to process orders and maintain part numbers for all the little pieces and keep them as separate parts so they encourage you to buy composite parts.

AB has started making NEMA starters out of IEC contactors these days. They still charge like they are NEMA starters but the actual contactors and overloads are IEC. They basically oversize them so they can meet the NEMA standards and mount them on a plate that is the same size as the NEMA starter it replaces.
              Bob

Comment

Agree except you can usually buy larger frame breakers at some of these online breaker places for the "bought with panel price". I'd like to see their scrap pile

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Agree except you can usually buy larger frame breakers at some of these online breaker places for the "bought with panel price". I'd like to see their scrap pile
                  I have gotten breakers from some of those before when needing just one.

Is possible if you are high enough volume purchaser you get better pricing and might be able to get a decent price on just one breaker here or there, I'm certainly not in that category so I don't really know.

Comment

I have gotten breakers from some of those before when needing just one.

Is possible if you are high enough volume purchaser you get better pricing and might be able to get a decent price on just one breaker here or there, I'm certainly not in that category so I don't really know.
                    FWIW Siemens now has a program where you can get the "with panel price" on breakers after the fact. I dont recall what the time frame allowance is from when you bought the panelboard.

"You can't generalize"

Comment

FWIW Siemens now has a program where you can get the "with panel price" on breakers after the fact. I dont recall what the time frame allowance is from when you bought the panelboard.
                      I have had to make changes after receiving products with Square D before and gotten additional items added to the original job quote. Same thing though, don't know how long after initial purchase they will do that.

Comment

Working...
                      X