What limits do you place on incoming client calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAC702

Unfortunately, Do Not Disturb modes stop text messages, also.

I used Google Voice for most of the last year, so that at least my voice mail messages were transcribed to text. It worked well enough. It stopped working after the last update, and I've not been able to get it to work again. While it was great for accessing the VM, or at least find out if it was worth listening to, it doesn't stop the interruption to the phone while the call was being attempted.

I like the call forwarding idea, if it won't affect texts. That's got potential.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I like the call forwarding idea, if it won't affect texts. That's got potential.
My "office" is in my home, and I have a second, non-published phone number with the distinctive ring feature, so I know when to answer with "Fine Electric Co." instead of "Hello."

When I come home, I forward all cell calls to that number, but the cell still receives text and data messages unless I turn it off, in which case it shows them when I turn it back on.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I turned off the ringer on my phone. If I could figure out how to disable it completely so it doesn't even stop the rest of the things my phone is doing during their attempt, I'd be even happier. My VM outgoing message tells them that they will get much faster service if they hang up and send a text.

I wonder if there's a way to suspend your phone service each evening and restore it each morning.

The auto attendant I use would solve your problem. The incoming calls to my cellphone are forwarded to the auto attendant service. My phone never rings or does anything else to indicate that a call has come in. The auto attendant handles the call for me. You program it on how to handle the calls. You can tell everybody to text you. You can tell them to leave a message on VM. You can forward client calls to a phone (a different one) and sales calls to VM. You can have different messages at different hours and days.

Even though my voice calls are forwarded, text messages can still get though. Works out well.

This is the one I use: http://www.voiceshot.com. $12/mo for the cheapest plan. Did I mention it filters out 99% of robocalls? Well worth it.

kwired

Electron manager
Unfortunately, Do Not Disturb modes stop text messages, also.
Does it block them altogether or just not notify you of them?

I believe there is ability to set exceptions, like maybe allow specific contacts through or even disallow anything that is not in your contact list.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Does it block them altogether or just not notify you of them?

I believe there is ability to set exceptions, like maybe allow specific contacts through or even disallow anything that is not in your contact list.

The "Do not Disturb" function just send calls to voicemail, text and emails come through but you don't get an audible notification.

jeff48356

I turned off the ringer on my phone. If I could figure out how to disable it completely so it doesn't even stop the rest of the things my phone is doing during their attempt, I'd be even happier.

I wish phones had such a feature too! I can't tell you how many times I've made a request for a song on the radio station that I regularly listen to using my phone, then someone calls while the song is playing and interrupts it. I have the option of pressing "Decline" and restarting the radio app, but still it's a royal PITA.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
my brother makes a lot more money than me as a consultant. he does not answer his phone for clients at all. at first I thought this was a bad idea but he pointed out that otherwise they think he is chasing them. if they have to wait for a call back, then obviously he is busy and will get to them when he can.

Bob that may work for your brother however I have missed many emergency calls and just reg. calls because I answered then a hour or 2 later. People get on the phone and call till they get someone. I have a way for them to leave a message, which they do, but when I call back they already got someone else.

This is true for small jobs, if that is not your concern then I would not worry about calling right away. My builders know how to get hold of me

kwired

Electron manager
Originally posted by petersonra View Post
my brother makes a lot more money than me as a consultant. he does not answer his phone for clients at all. at first I thought this was a bad idea but he pointed out that otherwise they think he is chasing them. if they have to wait for a call back, then obviously he is busy and will get to them when he can.

Bob that may work for your brother however I have missed many emergency calls and just reg. calls because I answered then a hour or 2 later. People get on the phone and call till they get someone. I have a way for them to leave a message, which they do, but when I call back they already got someone else.

This is true for small jobs, if that is not your concern then I would not worry about calling right away. My builders know how to get hold of me

I agree, especially when it comes to service work and your commercial/industrial clients if you have those. Something breaks down that stops the clients production or other operations, they are losing money/business when they are down. You may think you are their number one contact for your kind of services, but if a process/assembly line is down and especially if there is nothing else to do or that product they are making needs to be finished ASAP (for various reasons) they are getting whoever can respond the quickest. They may be patient with you because you are their main contact, but may still only have a certain time they will wait for at least a return call before calling others. Ignore them too often in those situation and you are no longer at the top of their priority list and may become the last one they call.

If they are a deadbeat client that doesn't pay bills in timely manner, then you may have some justification to play games with them, if they are a good client, make them happy and they will continue to be a good client.

Bob's brother being a consultant - I guess he is riding in a different boat and may be able to do that easier than a service guy. Consultant work isn't something that is needed right now.

Imagine calling 911 and they ignore your call to make you think they are too busy right now- maybe does happen in some places if they are actually understaffed I suppose, but they probably still do what they can to get with you ASAP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.