200 amp to 400 amp residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Do you have a square footage size house that you usually from 200 amp to a 400 amp service ? It would seem that a load calculation should not have to be done for every new house, Asume electric heat pump. Thank you.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I’ll play...
i got an 1100 sq ft house with an Electric endless water heater, the heat your talking about, bare minimum insulation, and I do pottery so I want a electric kiln permanently mounted in my garage, along with the associated equipment.
my other job is a 4000 sq ft house, gas water heater, the owner splurged with over the top insulation, and bought all energy efficient appliances. Your heat.

Its not possible to do it by sq ft only...
you can set a rule, but it will cost you eventually. Your either always oversized or you are too small once in a while.
you put a 200 in and the inspector asked for justification for the 200 vs the 400, you gonna say “ cause it’s “X” number ft sq”?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I disagree; it should be done every time, unless you're wiring similar houses.

I would agree. Two same square foot houses can have wildly different loads. In many jurisdictions it would be required anyway. What's the big deal to do one? It's not like it is overly difficult.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would agree. Two same square foot houses can have wildly different loads. In many jurisdictions it would be required anyway. What's the big deal to do one? It's not like it is overly difficult.

And if you use one of the computer or phone apps that do it for you it's even easier.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.