Counter sales vs inside sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Counter sales are pick up items, inside sales are usually handled by a particular associate that caters to a particular customer(s) and works with them for pricing, bids, large scale orders, etc.....

When I was buying items in the hundreds of K's or more a counter person would have been no help.

Roger

oldsparky52

When I used to deal with Graybar, there would be a large price difference if I dealt with the counter vs my inside salesperson. If I ever went to the counter to get something I always had them send the ticket to Carl for pricing (my inside guy).

I mostly considered the counter guys for product availability (is it in the house?), pricing was always with the inside guy.

Another answer to
what is the difference between talking to the counter/counter sales vs inside sales?
is about 10 - 25%. :)

But what if I don't have an inside guy assigned to me - say I don't even have an account at a place? How do you handle pricing stuff when you are out of town or at an unfamiliar supply house? Think I should still talk to an inside guy?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
If they're eager for your business, the inside sales group will roll the dice and decide who gets you as a new customer-- and create an account for you.

The big questions they'll ask-- how much money ya got, and how much you planning on spending?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In the hierarchy of electrical wholesalers, warehouseman is the bottom rung (above janitor), then you move up to counter sales once you know your butt from a hole in the ground, then when you demonstrate real savvy for finding things and helping with big project bids and pricing, you move into inside sales.

Then you marry the bosses daughter and get an outside sales job, but when you cheat on her, you start over somewhere else as a warehouseman. :bye:

In the hierarchy of electrical wholesalers, warehouseman is the bottom rung (above janitor), then you move up to counter sales once you know your butt from a hole in the ground, then when you demonstrate real savvy for finding things and helping with big project bids and pricing, you move into inside sales.

Then you marry the bosses daughter and get an outside sales job, but when you cheat on her, you start over somewhere else as a warehouseman. :bye:

:eek:hmy::slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.