Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Licensing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Licensing

    This isn't something I am necessarily interested in because I haven't been to educated on it, but here it goes (I may sound ignorant by the end). I currently am the license holder for our company, I am running our division for the large scale GC in our area, but prior to me taking the division over roughly 2 years ago it was a constant "the electrical is losing money." Since I have taken over we have made the turn for the better, except my first job out of the gate I let a GC estimator tell me how to estimate my electrical work so I cut where I shouldn't have and that got me a substantial loss. Since then my guys have brought in all jobs under budget anywhere from .2% to over 15% under budget. Anyways my question is as I am interested in to keep taking licensing test and continuing education is there any value to holding licenses in areas in which I personally will not be located? The reason I ask is prior to coming into the "office" world I heard people would get licensed and the get paid a "sub-contractor" fee for each time they pulled a permit for a contractor. Outside looking in now it seems more risky than good, what are your thoughts on that?

    To simplify the question: Would you get as many electrical licenses as possible and then allow another contractor to work under your license? Pros and Cons?? What is the financial compensation that would work in that scenario?

    Thanks!

    #2
    Originally posted by SparkyEst. View Post

    To simplify the question: Would you get as many electrical licenses as possible and then allow another contractor to work under your license? Pros and Cons?? What is the financial compensation that would work in that scenario?

    Thanks!
    In many areas it is illegal to allow someone to work (permit and contract) under another's license and in areas I have worked you could have multiple company's but you can only qualify one at a time, meaning if you are qualifying company A from 8:00 to 5:00 company B can not operate until after 5:00 and must stop before 8:00.

    Roger
    Moderator

    Comment


      #3
      Unless you're absolutely sure the other workers are as good as you, you're opening yourself up to a lawsuit should something go worng!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by roger View Post
        In many areas it is illegal to allow someone to work (permit and contract) under another's license and in areas I have worked you could have multiple company's but you can only qualify one at a time, meaning if you are qualifying company A from 8:00 to 5:00 company B can not operate until after 5:00 and must stop before 8:00.

        Roger
        In NJ you can't even do that. You'd have to surrender your seal to the state at 5:00 for A and try to get one for B at the same time and flip again at 8:00. Not happening.

        Comment


          #5
          You guys are verifying my exact thoughts as to how this was even possible. I had a few guys tell me as I was going through apprenticeship that it was a practice in which most people use closer to retirement as a valuable source of income. I personally can't fathom the thought of having someone outside my 10 guys now do work under my license. I know there are plenty of capable bodies, but without working for me it is hard for me to conceptualize that thought. Not only that I have a beautiful family and a promising future that just doesn't make sense to do work this way, backdoor business gets you out the backdoor in the dog house, not my preference, and I would rather not lose everything I have worked for. Thank you for your insight.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by SparkyEst. View Post
            You guys are verifying my exact thoughts as to how this was even possible. I had a few guys tell me as I was going through apprenticeship that it was a practice in which most people use closer to retirement as a valuable source of income. I personally can't fathom the thought of having someone outside my 10 guys now do work under my license. I know there are plenty of capable bodies, but without working for me it is hard for me to conceptualize that thought. Not only that I have a beautiful family and a promising future that just doesn't make sense to do work this way, backdoor business gets you out the backdoor in the dog house, not my preference, and I would rather not lose everything I have worked for. Thank you for your insight.
            To quote from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, "You have chosen wisely".

            Comment

            Working...
            X