Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought I was finished...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I thought I was finished...

    Back in May I gave a dollar guesstimate to a customer which they promptly turned down.

    I’ve been called back twice since for stuff their new controls guy should be involved in. .??

    Today they asked if I was interested in giving them a price on that PLC control work. Ahh...no.
    I told them I would do it, but no price and I should have been included months ago.

    Any of you want to work near the Flying Horses?
    Tom
    TBLO

    #2
    Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post

    Any of you want to work near the Flying Horses?
    Uh, no. But ... what are the Flying Horses?

    Comment


      #3
      You are entitled to turn down work, no matter what your reasoning.

      The other side of the coin is that the customer is also entitled to turn down your offer to do the work, for whatever reason he chooses.
      Bob

      Comment


        #4
        Welcome to electrical contracting I guess is what I would say. Cold world out there

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by oldsparky52 View Post

          Uh, no. But ... what are the Flying Horses?
          Winged Horses...central nebraska.
          Tom
          TBLO

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by oldsparky52 View Post

            Uh, no. But ... what are the Flying Horses?
            If you drive through Nebraska on interstate 80, you will see them in west/central part of the state. One on each side of the road.
            I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
              Back in May I gave a dollar guesstimate to a customer which they promptly turned down.

              I’ve been called back twice since for stuff their new controls guy should be involved in. .??

              Today they asked if I was interested in giving them a price on that PLC control work. Ahh...no.
              I told them I would do it, but no price and I should have been included months ago.

              Any of you want to work near the Flying Horses?
              You get those kind of clients too?
              I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by kwired View Post

                If you drive through Nebraska on interstate 80, you will see them in west/central part of the state. One on each side of the road.
                Kearney, NE

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by kwired View Post

                  You get those kind of clients too?
                  I honestly thought I was off their vendor list. Twice now.
                  Tom
                  TBLO

                  Comment


                    #10
                    We were just talking about something similar in our shop last week.

                    We parted company with one of our longtime customers a while back. A relationship we'd had for years but it had morphed through recent projects into a whole 'nother animal we'd determined was not worth the trouble. One of the electrical engineers on the project we work with regularly also decided it was time for him to do the same.

                    He stopped by the shop to BS and mentioned some advice he was given by an old timer long ago about how to handle customers and whatnot. The old timer had told him to rank ALL his customers A, B, C, just like grades you'd get in school. However and whatever you feel is important to you in a customer, is how you rank them. Customers that were "C's", if they didn't shape up, were the first to go, if there was plenty of work from "A's" and "B's".

                    This engineer determined this customer we shared had been on the "C" list for far too long, and being a busy guy, it only made sense they got chopped first. He told us he should of paid attention to the sage advice he had gotten from the old timer and done it sooner.

                    I'm going to keep that in mind going forward. Some customers are "C's" and just not worth the struggle if other work is there to be had....

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X