I thought I was finished...

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Back in May I gave a dollar guesstimate to a customer which they promptly turned down.

I’ve been called back twice since for stuff their new controls guy should be involved in. .??

Today they asked if I was interested in giving them a price on that PLC control work. Ahh...no.
I told them I would do it, but no price and I should have been included months ago. :rant:

Any of you want to work near the Flying Horses?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You are entitled to turn down work, no matter what your reasoning.

The other side of the coin is that the customer is also entitled to turn down your offer to do the work, for whatever reason he chooses.

kwired

Electron manager
Back in May I gave a dollar guesstimate to a customer which they promptly turned down.

I’ve been called back twice since for stuff their new controls guy should be involved in. .??

Today they asked if I was interested in giving them a price on that PLC control work. Ahh...no.
I told them I would do it, but no price and I should have been included months ago. :rant:

Any of you want to work near the Flying Horses?

You get those kind of clients too?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We were just talking about something similar in our shop last week.

We parted company with one of our longtime customers a while back. A relationship we'd had for years but it had morphed through recent projects into a whole 'nother animal we'd determined was not worth the trouble. One of the electrical engineers on the project we work with regularly also decided it was time for him to do the same.

He stopped by the shop to BS and mentioned some advice he was given by an old timer long ago about how to handle customers and whatnot. The old timer had told him to rank ALL his customers A, B, C, just like grades you'd get in school. However and whatever you feel is important to you in a customer, is how you rank them. Customers that were "C's", if they didn't shape up, were the first to go, if there was plenty of work from "A's" and "B's".

This engineer determined this customer we shared had been on the "C" list for far too long, and being a busy guy, it only made sense they got chopped first. He told us he should of paid attention to the sage advice he had gotten from the old timer and done it sooner.

I'm going to keep that in mind going forward. Some customers are "C's" and just not worth the struggle if other work is there to be had....

Status
Not open for further replies.