Damper Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I've always noticed almost all dampers are shown on electrical drawings with a J-Box symbol. They really never require a j-box though. You wired in/out of the actuator.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The dampers usually come with an integral box. Not sure why they would indicate a JB on the drawings when you typically do not need another box but you're correct they're almost always drawn that way.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Pretty common to see a hardwired appliance or motor indicated as a j-box on drawings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdslotz

Pretty common to see a hardwired appliance or motor indicated as a j-box on drawings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep...and a lot of times the dampers, VAV's, unit heaters, etc are in EMT runs due to distance or they are on circuits with different voltages....so J-box and whip is common

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Yep...and a lot of times the dampers, VAV's, unit heaters, etc are in EMT runs due to distance or they are on circuits with different voltages....so J-box and whip is common

not really true for vav and dampers ...many time 8-10 on same circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
not really true for vav and dampers ...many time 8-10 on same circuit.

I believe that what he's saying is that if you had the branch circuit run in EMT you wouldn't pipe directly into the damper box you would use a junction box with a whip at each. For MC cable it's more likely to just go directly into the damper junction box.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I believe that what he's saying is that if you had the branch circuit run in EMT you wouldn't pipe directly into the damper box you would use a junction box with a whip at each. For MC cable it's more likely to just go directly into the damper junction box.

yes I agree for pipe

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I assumed that your spec limits use of MC to fixture/equipment whips and does not allow MC to be run wild like romex throughout a commercial space.

Not the case. MC is allowed often for all branch wiring in concealed locations of small single phase motors, wiring devices, lighting etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.