2 Hour Feeders Fire Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Anyone know if a feeder is required to be 2 hour fire protected and it's run outdoor does the still requires some sort of 2 hour fire protection? This is for NYC? THanks

kwired

Electron manager
General rules (chapter 1-4) not required.

Can't think of any special rules in NEC but could see there being that possibility in certain situations,maybe in particular for some emergency systems.

kwired

Electron manager
Kwired....general rules chapter 1-4??? NEC.

What is meant by that is the way NEC works is chapters 1-4 are general rules that apply to pretty much everything unless specifically addressed for specific situations that are covered in chapters 5-7.

I am not aware of any 2 hour requirement for a feeder circuit in chapters 1-4, not aware of any in 5-7 either. But those are sections that are more specific application sections and there could be something I don't encounter very often (or ever) that could have requirements I am not aware of. If you have a specific installation that is covered by chapters 5-7 then be sure to read through the appropriate section carefully to find out or at least ask some questions about a specific application.

You mentioned emergency side feeders - first make sure what you are calling emergency is same thing NEC would call emergency. Optional standy systems are not emergency systems when using NEC terminology.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
What is meant by that is the way NEC works is chapters 1-4 are general rules that apply to pretty much everything unless specifically addressed for specific situations that are covered in chapters 5-7.

I am not aware of any 2 hour requirement for a feeder circuit in chapters 1-4, not aware of any in 5-7 either. But those are sections that are more specific application sections and there could be something I don't encounter very often (or ever) that could have requirements I am not aware of. If you have a specific installation that is covered by chapters 5-7 then be sure to read through the appropriate section carefully to find out or at least ask some questions about a specific application.

You mentioned emergency side feeders - first make sure what you are calling emergency is same thing NEC would call emergency. Optional standy systems are not emergency systems when using NEC terminology.

Thanks. So there is EM, optional stand-by and life safety or just emergency and optional standby? T

Status
Not open for further replies.