Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Umm, I just do what I'm told.

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I run multiwire branch circuits anytime it is practicable.

As most times my lighting is 277 I don't often have a choice to place receptacles and lights on the same multiwire branch circuits.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I plan my projects with as many MWBC's as I can regardless of the system voltage.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
sparkyrick said:
So in your MWBC's, I take it you share neutrals with lighting and receptacles then?

Not trying to answer for Hardworkingstiff, but unless there was some special circumstances there would be no reason not to if the lighting was 120v.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I use MWBC's whenever possible. That would include lighting and receptacles if the voltage was only 208Y/120.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
The only commercial work I've done was a "Just replace whatever was there before" job and it had shared neutrals like nobody's business. At first they looked weird. Now whenever I think I'd like more than 1 20A circuit to go somewhere, I think a MWBC might be a nice idea.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Julie, I agree. MWBC's are electrically (voltage drop, etc.) and mechanically (labor and KO usage) more efficient. The concern expressed is that MWBC's should be all-receptacle or all-lighting, and not mixed.

Theoretically it should not matter, but if practical, I like keeping them separate for performance's sake, phase count aside. While lighting can also affect lighting, it seems that receptacle loads "shouldn't" affect lighting.

The biggest concern for MWBC's is that it's the one configuration where a poor connection in the neutral pathway can result in over-voltage problems on adjoining circuits. Added: Besides, my mom taught me to share.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.